USA HILLARY CLINTON NABNAHJ.jpg
Photograph: EPA/JIM LO SCALZO

Hillary Clinton returned Thursday to the US presidential campaign, saying her three days off helped her "reconnect with what this campaign is about."

In her first appearance since being ordered to stay home to recuperate from pneumonia, Clinton said, "sitting at home was the last place I wanted to be" with only two months until the November 8 election.

But she told a rally in Greensboro, North Carolina, that she took advantage of the time to be alone with her thoughts, and "did some thinking" about her reasons for running for office.

Appearing rested as she addressed the crowd in a clear voice, Clinton said that being home sick reminded her that far too many people in American can't stay home when they are ill because they lack health care or are "living on the razor's edge" and can't afford to lose a paycheck.

Some things should be within reach for everyone, she said, like financial security, affordable healthcare and "the peace of mind that comes with knowing that if something goes wrong your family will be OK."

Her public service career, Clinton said, had focused on "fighting for families and everyone who's been knocked down but gets back up" and that's what she would do as president.

Clinton, 68, was sidelined from the campaign trail on Sunday after she felt dizzy and nearly collapsed after abruptly leaving a memorial service in New York for the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Clinton's campaign, which earlier in the week had said that the candidate suffered from allergies, admitted that she had been diagnosed Friday with pneumonia.

In a brief press conference Thursday, she reiterated that she had considered her sickness "an ailment that many people just power through" and hadn't thought "there was any reason to make a big fuss about it."

Her personal doctor released a two-page letter Wednesday saying the US presidential candidate is responding well to treatment for the illness.

The letter also provided a trove of other health details about the former secretary of state, who apparently hoped releasing the letter would put concerns about her health to rest.

More health-related information also came out Thursday about Donald Trump, the Republican nominee in the race for the White House. On The Dr Oz Show, he said he takes a statin to lower his cholesterol level and said he would like to lose between 7 and 9 kilograms.

Related stories

US presidential candidates release details about their health

Clinton, now feeling better, "ignored doctor's advice"

Trump says he hopes Clinton "gets well soon"

Obama campaigns for sidelined Clinton: "Hillary's tough"

Trump selects Obamacare critic as health secretary

Latest news

Alphabet's self-driving car company sues Uber over alleged theft

Alphabet's self-driving car company Waymo said Thursday it was suing Uber and its subsidiary Otto for allegedly stealing its technology and infringing its patents.

US, Mexico take "important steps" even as Trump voices indifference

Top US and Mexican diplomatic and security officials met on Thursday in Mexico City, as President Donald Trump in Washington expressed ambivalence about relations with the United States' southern neighbour.

US Supreme Court's Ginsberg emphasizes value of free press

US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg expressed optimism about the political future of the United States despite the polarized and combative political atmosphere that has marked the fledgling presidency of Donald Trump.

Top Trump aide Bannon points to promises kept, media fight

Top White House strategist Steve Bannon said Thursday US President Donald Trump is keeping the promises he made during his campaign on issues from immigration to job creation.

Le Pen promises independent foreign policy, autonomous defence

Marine Le Pen promised Thursday that if elected president of France she would ensure it had a truly independent foreign policy as well as an autonomous capacity for self-defence.

Slovenia for ending lawsuits against Ljubljanska Banka

Croatia is infringing the memorandum of understanding signed with Slovenia in 2013 which they interpret differently, the Slovenian Embassy said on Thursday after a hearing at a Zagreb court in a suit which Croatia's PBZ bank filed against Slovenia's Ljubljanska Banka (LB) and Nova Ljubljanska Bank (NLB) over transferred foreign currency savings.

Marin Pucar appointed as new CEO in Podravka food concern

Marin Pucar is the new Management Board chairman of the Podravka food concern and will take the helm of the company after Zvonimir Mrsic's term expires at midnight on Thursday.

Croatian MEP says Moscow wants to influence in western Balkans

Croatian MEP Ivan Jakovcic said in an interview with the Montenegrin Pobjeda daily on Thursday that Moscow is trying to exploit the political forces in Montenegro and that Russia's meddling in Montenegro's internal affairs was "unacceptable behaviour."

New York Times launches brand campaign for 'The Truth' with Oscars ad

The New York Times is using Sunday's Academy Awards show to launch an advertising drive with an ad spot that capitalizes on President Donald Trump's confrontational relationship with the paper and other mainstream media.

Gambia charges former spy chief with murder of opposition leader

The former head of the Gambian national intelligence agency has been charged with the murder of an opposition youth leader who died in detention last year.

Dutch populist Wilders won't publicly campaign after security fiasco

The Dutch Party for Freedom (PVV) won't make public appearances in support of its election campaign after a security official assigned to protect party founder Geert Wilders was detained by police.

Peace Implementation Council Steering Board calls for defusing tensions in Bosnia

The Steering Board of the Peace Implementation Council in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) met on Thursday, expressing the international community's concern about the situation in the country and calling on local politicians to act rationally to prevent an escalation of the crisis after a motion was submitted to review an International Court of Justice (ICJ) ruling in BiH's case against Serbia for genocide.