hammer-čekić-sud.jpg
Photograph: freeimages.com/Marcelo Gerpe

Chad's former president Hissene Habre was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison for crimes against humanity, war crimes, torture and sexual slavery by a Senegalese court on Monday.

The case against 73-year-old Habre was the first-ever trial of a former head of state in sub-Saharan Africa.

"Impunity and terror were the law" during Habre's eight-year rule from 1982 to 1990, said judge Gberdao Gustave Kam, highlighting the "extreme gravity of the crimes."

Millions of people had fallen victim to Habre's regime, "many of whom still suffer the consequences, almost 30 years later," said Kam.

Habre was found guilty of having coordinated crimes against humanity, which included illegal detention, repression and sexual slavery. The judges concluded that Habre had systematically hunted down opponents, personally committed rape and torture and given orders for execution in writing.

Habre, who has been nicknamed "Africa's Pinochet" after Chilean military dictator Augusto Pinochet, was given two weeks to appeal the verdict.

Wearing a white turban that covered his head and mouth and hiding his eyes behind gold-rimmed sunglasses, Habre sat immobile while the verdict was read, listening mostly with closed eyes.

Jubilation broke out in the tightly packed court room after the judge announced the life sentence and Habre was whisked away by security personnel.

"Habre's conviction for these horrific crimes after 25 years is a huge victory for his Chadian victims," said Reed Brody, a counsel at Human Rights Watch, who has worked with Habre's victims since 1999.

"This verdict sends a powerful message that the days when tyrants could brutalize their people ... are coming to an end," Brody added. 

Amnesty International called the verdict "a landmark decision."

"The case sets a new benchmark for efforts to end impunity in Africa," the human rights group said in a statement.

The United States, which supported Chad during Habre's rule as a bulwark against neigbouring Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi, also said it welcomed the conviction.

The ruling was "an opportunity for the United States to reflect on, and learn from, our own connection with past events in Chad," said US Secretary of State John Kerry in a statement.

Rights groups estimate that Habre is responsible for the deaths of around 40,000 people during his rule. About 200,000 people were reportedly tortured by his regime.

Habre's case was heard before the Extraordinary African Chambers, a special criminal court set up by the African Union within the Senegalese court system.

The chamber was created in 2013 amid criticism that the International Criminal Court in The Hague has in the past unfairly targeted African leaders. 

More than 90 testimonies were heard during the trial, which started in July 2015, after campaigners had fought for more than two decades to bring Habre to justice. The indictment against Habre was almost 200 pages long.

Habre refused to acknowledge the legitimacy of the court. In July, when the trial started, he had to be dragged into the courtroom and did not stand up or respond when called on by the judge. He also shouted the proceedings were a "farce."

In response, the court appointed a new team of lawyers to represent Habre for the remainder of the trial.

After living freely in exile in Senegal for 22 years, Habre was detained in Dakar in July 2013, less than 72 hours after US President Barack Obama - during a visit to Senegal - expressed his support for Habre to be tried.

Habre's arrest had been delayed for years by Senegal's administration, ignoring Belgian courts' efforts to speed up the process and try him in Europe.

Latest news

Messi's last minute penalty saves Barcelona from shock draw

Barcelona beat Leganes 2-1 with a last minute penalty from Lionel Messi in the Spanish first division on Sunday.

At least 30 injured after explosion in Bogota

A explosion in the Macarena area of Bogota injured at least 30 people on Sunday, many of them police officers who were guarding a bull running through the streets of the Colombian capital.

Vojvodina institutions hold conference on Bunjevci's non-Croat ethnic background

There are around 16,000 members of the Bunjevci community in Vojvodina who deny their Croat ethnic background. They are represented by the Bunjevci National Council which enjoys the support of state authorities, and, since the change of government in Vojvodina, of the provincial authorities as well.

SpaceX rocket blasts off from historic launch pad en route to ISS

A commercial rocket built by SpaceX is on its way to the International Space Station (ISS) with a load of research equipment, cargo and supplies, NASA said Sunday.

Defence deals worth 1.2 billion dollars announced at key UAE show

Deals worth nearly 4.4 billion dirhams (1.2 billion dollars) were reached at a major defence show that opened Sunday in Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), an official said.

Thousands protest in Malta against controversial press law reforms

Thousands of people attended a demonstration in Malta on Sunday, answering a call by the main opposition party to protest against what it described as a threat to democracy and freedom of expression.

London's mayor calls for Trump's state visit to be cancelled

US President Donald Trump should be denied a state visit to Britain due to his "cruel and shameful" immigration policies, London Mayor Sadiq Khan said Sunday.

'Now more than ever': US scientists gird for confrontation with Trump

Normally any annual gathering of American scientists is relatively non-political. But, with Donald Trump in the White House, things are different at this year's meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. Many researchers are worried about their future and are urging colleagues to protest - and remain vigilant.

Int'l conference on post-war monuments in post-communist Europe held in Zagreb

The event was organised by the Zagreb-based association SF:ius in cooperation with the Croatian chapter of the International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS).

Serbians wouldn't go to war for Kosovo - poll

A majority of citizens in Serbia wouldn't go to war to claim back Kosovo, shows a survey conducted by the Serbian nongovernmental organisation "Belgrade Centre for Security Policy".

Grabar-Kitarovic, Lavrov find solution to air pollution caused by Bosanski Brod oil refinery

Croatia and Russia have found a solution for the problem of air pollution caused by a Russian-owned oil refinery in Bosanski Brod, northern Bosnia and Herzegovina, which has been poisoning residents of Slavonski Brod, a town across the Sava River in Croatia, Croatian President Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovic said in Munich on Sunday.

Istria border police discover 20 migrants in van

During routine border control, police in the northern Croatian Adriatic region of Istria on Saturday discovered 20 migrants in a van driven by a Croatian national, the Ministry of the Interior said.