burkina faso, napad, policija.jpg
Photograph: EPA/STR

Burkina Faso's government began its first day of national mourning Sunday as authorities raised the death toll to 29 victims in a terrorist siege of a popular restaurant and cafe by al-Qaeda militants.

Authorities said nearly 70 people were seriously injured in the attack, which was launched Friday evening on the Cappuccino Cafe and the nearby Splendid Hotel in the West African country's capital, Ouagadougou.

At least 14 foreigners are believed to be among the victims. Two Swiss nationals, one Dutch national, one US citizen and six Canadians were confirmed killed by their foreign ministries.

French media reported that two French nationals and one Portuguese residing in France were slain.

Italy's Foreign Office said the 9-year-old son of the cafe's Italian owner was killed in the attack.

Militants belonging to al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) claimed responsibility for the attack, which continued overnight into Saturday with sporadic reports of gunfire and explosions.

The attackers first opened fire on the cafe before moving on to the hotel next door, which is popular with foreigners.

Burkinabe and French soldiers launched a counter-assault on the hotel and cafe and saved a total of 156 hostages.

Speaking on Saturday evening, President Roch Kabore declared three days of national mourning, saying Burkina Faso had become a first-time victim of "barbaric" terrorist attacks "of unparalleled cowardice."

"We will emerge victorious from the war that [the terrorists] forced on our people and the other nations of the world," Kabore said.

Kabore, elected in November in Burkina Faso's first free elections in 50 years, took office just weeks before the assault.

Sunday in Washington, a White House spokesman condemned the attacks in Burkina Faso "in the strongest terms."

"We mourn with the families of those killed in these senseless acts of violence, including Michael James Riddering, an American citizen who had devoted his life to working with the Burkinabe people, and our thoughts and prayers are with those who were injured," said Ned Price, spokesman for US President Barack Obama's National Security Council.

US authorities are still trying to account for all US citizens in Burkina Faso.

"The United States continues to stand with the people of Burkina Faso," Price said. "Acts of terrorism will not stop efforts by brave Americans and others from around the world who travel far and wide to support governments, civil society groups, and others working to strengthen democracy, improve healthcare and increase economic opportunities for all."

Landlocked Burkina Faso is the largest cotton producer in Africa and is rich in gold. Despite its natural resources, the former French colony is one of the poorest countries in the world.

Related stories

Latest news

EU anti-fraud office eyeing claims against Merkel challenger Schulz

Martin Schulz, the main contender against German Chancellor Angela Merkel in upcoming elections, could face a probe for advocating questionable bonuses and promotions while European Parliament president, the EU's anti-fraud office said Thursday.

EFA calls on Croatian state leadership to protect Croatian cinema

The European Film Academy, along with the 600 Croatian professionals who signed the manifesto of "We’ve Had Enough", expressed its belief in the importance of the independence of Croatian film, and in preserving the autonomy of the existing Croatian audio visual model and the continuity of current practices.

PSA chief: We want to keep Opel German

The head of French carmaker PSA Group, which last week revealed that it was in talks to buy Opel from General Motors, said that Opel should remain German if the deal goes through.

Bayern round the clock - German champions launch own TV channel

Bayern Munich fans will be able to follow goings on at the Bundesliga record champions in a new way from next week when the club launches its own television channel.

'Weather bomb' hits transport, cuts power to 56,000 homes in Ireland

Storm Doris brought winds of up to 120 kilometres per hour to large areas of Ireland and Britain on Thursday, disrupting transport links and causing power cuts to tens of thousands of homes.

Croatia's registered unemployment rate rises to 15.4% in January

The registered unemployment rate in Croatia rose from 14.8% in December 2016 to 15.4% in January 2017, increasing for the fourth month in a row, the National Bureau of Statistics (DZS) said Thursday.

Norway's telecom group Telenor to leave Indian market

Norwegian telecommunications group Telenor said Thursday it was leaving the Indian telecom market and transferring its businesses there to Bharti Airtel.

Iraq claims advance in retaking Mosul airport from Islamic State

Iraqi forces wrested back half of Mosul's airport from Islamic State Thursday, shortly after entering the facility during their ongoing campaign to drive the extremist militia from its last key stronghold in the country.

Rights group: Video shows Cambodian police beating election candidate

A video posted on YouTube shows eight Cambodian paramilitary police beating a man identified as an opposition candidate at a Phnom Penh shopping mall, a rights group said Thursday. 

Malaysia asks Interpol to issue alert for suspects in N Korean death

Malaysia on Thursday requested that Interpol issue an alert for four North Koreans suspected of involvement in last week's killing of Kim Jong Nam, the estranged half-brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

British suspect arrested in Deutsche Telekom hacking

A 29-year-old British citizen suspected of involvement in a cyberattack that left nearly 1 million Deutsche Telekom customers without services last year has been arrested, German federal police said on Thursday.

Eight killed as bomb targets restaurant in Pakistan’s Lahore

A bomb ripped through a high-end restaurant in the Pakistani city of Lahore on Thursday, killing eight people, officials said, marking another attack amid a surge in violence by Islamist militants that has ended months of fragile calm.