Brazil business tycoon's private jet crashes in Sao Paulo - 7 dead

Seven people were killed and one was injured when a private plane reportedly belonging to Roger Agnelli, former chief executive of Brazil's leading iron ore mining firm Vale, crashed into a residence in Sao Paolo.

The single-engined aircraft crashed in the northern suburb of Casa Verde on Saturday shortly after flying just 300 metres from Sao Paulo's Campo de Marte airport, Globonews reported.

All on board the plane - Agnelli, his family and the pilot - died in the accident, according to local media.

Residents of the three-storey building with which it collided were able to flee the resulting blaze via the back courtyard, the Globonews report said. One woman was injured.

The cause of the crash remains unclear.

Agnelli reportedly died alongside his wife, his son and daughter, and their two partners, as well as the pilot. Globonews said that the bodies have been retrieved from the wreckage.

Under Agnelli's leadership from 2001-11, Vale became one of the world's top three mining corporations.

The Brazilian businessman went on to found his own investment company and had been tipped recently by media as the next possible head of crude oil firm Petrobas.

Last update: Sun, 20/03/2016 - 14:33
Author: 

Related

Private plane crashes in Sao Paulo, seven dead

World

Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 13:16

More from World

MSF: 50 dead, 120 wounded after Nigerian jet fires on refugee camp

At least 50 people are dead and 120 wounded after a Nigerian army airstrike hit a refugee camp in the country's...

Report: US and EU make "considerable progress" on TTIP negotiations

The European Union and the United States have made "considerable progress" in negotiating the Transatlantic Trade...

Gambia declares 90-day state of emergency

Gambia declared a 90-day state of emergency on Tuesday, two days before President Yahya Jammeh was to step down...

Rowhani says Trump's criticism of Iran nuclear deal is 'just talk'

Iranian President Hassan Rowhani on Tuesday dismissed remarks by the US president-elect criticizing the nuclear deal...

Mediterranean death toll exceeds 200 since January 1, IOM says

At least 219 people have died trying to reach Europe by crossing the Mediterranean in the first weeks of 2017, the...