Suicide bombing in Pakistan hospital kills 70, leaves 200 wounded

A suicide bomber killed at least 70 people and left 200 wounded in an attack Monday at a hospital in south-western Pakistan.

Both Islamic State and the Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the deadliest attack in Pakistan since a Taliban bombing killed more than 70 picnickers in March.

The bomber blew himself up in the midst of lawyers gathered outside the Civil Hospital in the south-western city of Quetta to mourn a lawyer who was shot dead earlier in the day, provincial government spokesman Anwarul Haq Kakar said.

The Jamaatul Ahrar faction of the Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack, hours after the Islamic State extremist group said it was behind the bombing.

Jamaatul Ahrar emailed a statement to media warning of more attacks, which the group's spokesman said would "continue until implementation of sharia [Islamic law] in Pakistan."

Meanwhile, Islamic State said its cell in the Khurassan region, which straddles Pakistan and Afghanistan, was responsible for the attack, a source close to the group told dpa.

Islamic State has been behind previous attacks in Pakistan, but this is the first one it claimed in Balochistan, the largest of the country's provinces and one rich in minerals.

Militant groups in Pakistan often compete in claiming their role in major attacks. At least three outfits said they were behind the attack at the Wagah border crossing with India in 2014 in which more than 55 people died.

Lawyers' associations announced seven days of mourning and a one-day boycott of courts across Pakistan to protest the bombing.

Overall violence has declined significantly since the military pushed back Islamist militants from Pakistan's tribal regions in offensives launched in mid-2014.

The US State Department condemned the attack, saying it struck at "the most important pillars of democracy" by targeting a hospital, the judiciary and the media. The United States offered assistance to the Pakistani government, spokeswoman Elizabeth Trudeau said.

Such "brutal and senseless attacks only deepen our shared resolve to defeat terrorism around the world," she said.

Last update: Mon, 08/08/2016 - 23:35
Author: 

More from World

Trump's talk with Taiwan leader only a "courtesy call," Pence says

US vice president-elect Mike Pence on Sunday brushed off the uproar surrounding Donald Trump's telephone...

Uzbekistan's Mirziyoyev, likely successor of deceased longtime ruler

Shavkat Mirziyoyev, prime minister of the authoritarian, former Soviet republic of Uzbekistan for 13 years and...

24 bodies recovered in California warehouse party fire

The number of confirmed dead in a California warehouse fire rose to 24 Sunday, investigators said after recovering...

US releases another Guantanamo Bay prisoner, leaving 59 at facility

The United States has released a detainee from its prison at Guantanamo Bay, leaving 59 prisoners at the Cuban...

At least 20 killed in clashes between militia and security forces

At least 20 people were killed in central Congo when militiamen of local chief Kamwena Nsapu clashed with security...