Video material showing the killing of an African-American man by police will not be released, authorities said in Charlotte, North Carolina, after a second night of civil unrest amid conflicting accounts of whether the suspect was armed.

Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney said Thursday that the video is evidence in an investigation and will not be made public.

He said that the family of Keith Lamont Scott, 43, who died shortly after being shot Tuesday afternoon, would be shown the video.

"They made a request to see it, and we're looking to accommodate that request," Putney said.

Meanwhile, authorities decided against imposing a curfew after a second night of violence since the shooting, which led North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory to declare a state of emergency.

Justin Bamberg, an attorney for Scott's family, said relatives were expecting later Thursday to see video that shows "some" of the shooting incident.

"The family wants answers," he said. "The family deserves answers."

Scott was married 20 years and had seven children, and his wife saw the shooting, Bamberg said.

He said different witnesses have said that Scott was holding a book, and others that he was empty-handed, while police allege the suspect had a gun.

"We don't know what's on the video," Bamberg said. "We know what law enforcements says is on the video."

The Tuesday shooting was followed by night-time demonstrations that turned violent, with 16 police injured and one person initially arrested.

More rioting broke out overnight Wednesday, with significant vandalism and looting in central Charlotte. Five police officers and seven civilians were injured on the second night, including one person fatally wounded in what authorities described as "civilian-on-civilian" gunfire.

The 26-year-old victim, who had been on life support after initially surviving his wounds, died late Thursday, the Charlotte Observer reported.

Putney cited allegations that a police officer might have been involved in the Wednesday night shooting, and said investigators were reviewing video of the demonstrations.

Bamberg said the family is urging demonstrators to remain peaceful: "We want you to voice your opinions, but we don't want you to destroy the community that you live in."

Police say Scott was holding a handgun when confronted by police and ignored orders to drop the weapon.

Putney said a handgun was taken into evidence at the shooting scene near Scott's body, and that witnesses corroborated that officers shouted for the suspect to drop a weapon.

The officer, himself African-American, who shot Scott was a two-year veteran of the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department. He was in plain clothes and wearing a marked police vest but no body camera. Three uniformed officers present at the shooting were wearing body cameras, and police cars had dashboard cameras.

Putney, also African-American, said that available video he has seen does not capture enough of the shooting to definitively show that Scott pointed his gun at police, but "in the totality of all the other evidence" supports the account of the officers on the scene.

The US Justice Department is examining Scott's death, Attorney General Loretta Lynch said Wednesday.

Ahead of the November 8 national elections in the United States, police shootings have become a political issue.

"Our country looks bad to the world. How can we lead when we can't control our cities?" presidential candidate Donald Trump asked Thursday at a campaign rally in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Trump, the nominee of the conservative Republican Party, has touted himself as tough on crime and frequently lauds the work of the police. He described recurring police shootings and resulting civil unrest as a "national crisis" and vowed to work with local officials to "save African-American lives" and reduce crime.

"We need a national anti-crime agenda to make our country safe," he said.

In Washington, the Congressional Black Caucus rallied on Capitol Hill to call for more federal action against local police abuses. Congressman John Conyers urged the US Justice Department to "investigate and sue more police departments" to address racial profiling and excessive force.

"We need more action now," he said.

Related stories

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.