At least 25 civilians are dead after an airstrike upon a residential neighbourhood in Yemen’s rebel-held Hudaydah province, medical sources and witnesses told dpa on Thursday
The late Wednesday airstrike, believed to have been launched by the Saudi-led coalition attempting to oust rebel forces from Yemen, left at least 90 people injured and caused damage to eight houses, the sources said. Women and children were among the dead.
Hudayah lies west of Sana'a.
The coalition has not commented on the incident.
Last month, the UN high commissioner for human rights said in a report that there was evidence of possible war crimes and rights violations among the fighting in Yemen, including deadly attacks on homes, markets, weddings, hospitals and schools in Yemen. Of the 2,067 civilians killed between July 2015 and June 2016, 1,259 died in Saudi-led airstrikes, according to the report.
Yemen's conflict has intensified since March 2015, when the mostly Shiite Houthi rebels advanced on Aden, prompting Saudi Arabia and fellow Sunni allies to start an air campaign against the group.
Saudi Arabia fears that the rebels will give its regional rival, Shiite Iran, a strategic foothold on the Arabian Peninsula.