At least 47 people, including eight civilians, were killed in clashes between Islamic State's Afghan-Pakistan wing and security forces in Afghanistan's eastern province of Nangarhar, officials said Saturday.
"Four children and three women were among the dead," said a statement from the Nangarhar governor's office.
Two Afghan security force personnel were also killed in the fighting on Friday.
Eastern Afghanistan has been identified as a hotspot for Islamic State activity, according to NATO, and US forces have been concentrating more drone strikes in the eastern region since the middle of last year.
Seven civilians, three security personnel, and 32 Islamic State fighters were wounded in the clashes.
Some 30 civilians, including women and children, were kidnapped by Islamic State militants after the fighting. An unknown number were later freed by Afghan forces.
"There is no fighting in the area at the moment," said the statement from the governor's office, adding that security forces were conducting air and ground operations in the area.