40 people in Bosnia under investigation on suspicion of terrorism

Forty people are currently under investigation in Bosnia and Herzegovina because they pose a security threat given their links with radical Islamic groups and terrorism, but the country's judiciary cannot cope with all tasks related to that challenge because of its limited capacity, it was said in Sarajevo on Wednesday after a meeting of an anti-terrorist task force consisting of representatives of the country's leading security and judicial agencies and institutions.

Representatives of the prosecutorial authorities said at the meeting that indictments had been issued against 20 people linked with terrorism and with recruiting Bosnia and Herzegovina nationals to fight in Syria.

The spokesman for the Office of the Chief State Prosecutor, Boris Grubesic, said that another 20 people were under investigation on suspicion of recruiting fighters for the Syrian front and that the national judiciary and police participated in several international operations fighting extremism.

The police and the Intelligence Security Agency (OSA) are sending the prosecutorial authorities new information on terrorist threats on a daily basis and the number of investigations and cases that have to be worked on is increasing steadily, Grubesic said.

Representatives of the Office of the Chief State Prosecutor said at the meeting that the prosecution of such cases was within their jurisdiction, but that the office, which should have nine prosecutors, only had one permanent prosecutor while the appointment of the other eight was being obstructed at the political level.

"Any further delay in their appointment will directly harm the fight against terrorism," said Grubesic.

An analysis of the situation on the ground reveals a change in forms of terrorist activity, with the share of perpetrators of such crimes aged 20-30 increasing. The analysis also reveals that often those people already have a police record.

Last update: Tue, 08/12/2015 - 12:27
Author: 

More from World

Reports: Dozens killed in church collapse in Nigeria

Dozens of people were killed in Uyo in southern Nigeria Saturday when a church collapsed/ according to reports.

Report: Trump to nominate Exxon chief for secretary of state

US president-elect Donald Trump will nominate Exxon Mobil chief executive Rex Tillerson to be his secretary of state...

15 killed, 69 injured in Istanbul: ministry

Attacks in Istanbul near a football stadium Saturday killed 15 people and injured 69, a Turkish government official...

Turkish government imposes broadcast ban after explosions in Istanbul

The Turkish government has imposed a broadcast ban in the country on Saturday night, state-run news agency Anadolu...

Iran summons British ambassador over prime minister's remarks

The Iranian Foreign Ministry summoned the British ambassador concerning remarks made earlier this week by Prime...