Fireworks and spectacular light displays helped revellers welcome in 2016 across the globe, although several major cities were on high alert as the New Year began.

The atmosphere at the celebrations ranged from carefree to cautious, with uncertainty overshadowing many European cities and terrorist threats cancelling events in Paris and Brussels.

A glittering ball descended on Times Square in New York, keeping with the city's famous New Year tradition.

Confetti flew across the square, where an estimated 1 million people had gathered.

There was trouble further north in New York state, however, where authorities in Rochester cancelled an official fireworks show after a man was accused of an alleged Islamic State-inspired plot to attack a restaurant and bar.

Rio de Janeiro - which has much to look forward to as the host of the 2016 Olympics - celebrated with a huge display of pyrotechnics launched from barges off the Copacabana beach.

There were more muted celebrations in parts of Europe.

Brussels Mayor Yvan Mayeur stopped the Belgian capital's fireworks after learning of an alleged plot targeting major sites in the city during year-end celebrations.

Belgium has been on high alert since the November 13 terrorist attacks in Paris, as many of the perpetrators had links to Belgium.

Paris also cancelled its official New Year's fireworks in favour of more subdued celebrations, with private rockets and fireworks generally banned and the areas around the Eiffel Tower and the Champs Elysees boulevard barricaded.

France instituted a state of emergency after last month's attacks, which left 130 people dead.

One of Paris' most historic sites, the Arc de Triomphe, was however illuminated to welcome in 2016.

Events in the German capital Berlin carried on as planned, but were overshadowed by news of a suspected terrorism threat in Munich shortly before midnight (2300 GMT).

Munich's main railway station and one other station were evacuated before the New Year began, but reopened a few hours later. The threat concerned a planned suicide attack, police said.

Nonetheless, Berlin authorities tightened controls across the 2-kilometre long party venue at the Brandenburg Gate, with visitors subject to a ban on large rucksacks and bags.

Additional security officers were patrolling the streets of London, Rome and New York, while added checks were put in place at open-air parties in Madrid and Moscow.

Some 3,000 officers were deployed in London as thousands massed to see the fireworks along the capital's River Thames.

On the other side of the globe, 1 million people rang in the New Year by watching Australia's famous fireworks display in front of Sydney Opera House.

Midnight struck, launching the biggest-ever New Year extravaganza for the city, with an extra 2,400 fireworks in a 20-minute spectacle.

Across the Tasman Sea in New Zealand's largest city Auckland all eyes were on the Sky Tower’s four-hour light show followed by a huge firework display at midnight.

In China, one of the biggest annual public gatherings - on Shanghai's Bund promenade - was cancelled as a precaution, after 36 people died in a crush at last year's event. Tens of thousands of people normally attend.

Related stories

Latest news

Turkey removes restrictions on Islamic headscarves in the military

Female members of the Turkish military, including officers, will be allowed to wear the Islamic headscarf as long as it is color-compliant with their uniform, the Defence Ministry said on Tuesday, according to the state-run Anadolu news agency.

Protesters clash with police in Nepal anti-government shutdown

Anti-government protesters clashed with police in towns across southern Nepal and attacked a municipal building Wednesday as they forced a shutdown in the region over local elections.

Pollster: Trump presidency is causing Germany's AfD to lose support

A prominent German pollster said Wednesday that the "chaotic" leadership of US President Donald Trump has caused an electoral decline for Germany's right-wing Alternative for Germany (AfD) party.

Iraq's powerful Shiite militia attacks Islamic State near Mosul

Baghdad (dpa) - Iraq's powerful Shiite militia launched a major attack Wednesday to recapture areas near the city of Mosul from Islamic State, backing an ongoing government offensive against the radical Sunni group.

11 Bosnian citizens wanted by Interpol for terrorism

Acting on a request by Bosnia and Herzegovina, Interpol has issued an international arrest warrant for a national of that country, Amir Dzinic, for links to the terrorist organisation Islamic State, Bosnian media said on Wednesday.

Pakistani TV channel in hot water for airing film about lesbians

Pakistan's state media watchdog has warned a private TV channel for airing a film on the relationship between two lesbians, saying it was against the "social, ethical and societal norms of the country."

Stolen gate from former Nazi camp returns to Germany

A gate stolen in 2014 from a former Nazi concentration camp will be returned to the Dachau memorial site on Wednesday, after its return to Germany from Norway.

China wants to open 50,000 football schools by 2025

China plans to open 50,000 football schools by 2025, as part of a long-haul effort to become a world leader in the game, Chinese state media reported Wednesday.

Airbus profits take hit after write-off on new military aircraft

Airbus Wednesday announced that its profits for 2016 were down 63 per cent to 995 million euros (1,046 million dollars) after a major write-off on a troubled programme to develop a new military transport aircraft.

Monitor: Israeli jets hit arms depots near Damascus

 Israeli warplanes Wednesday hit arms depots near the Syrian capital Damascus, a monitoring group reported.

S African court invalidates International Criminal Court withdrawal

South Africa's government must seek legislative approval before it can withdraw from the International Criminal Court, ruled a court Wednesday, throwing up a roadblock to attempts to part ways with the international tribunal.

Senior Yemeni army commander killed while fighting rebels

A senior commander of Yemeni government troops died Wednesday while fighting rebels in the war-torn country's south-west, according to military sources.