The International medical charity Doctors without Borders (MSF) said eleven people were killed and 19 were injured   when a hospital it supports in northern Yemen was hit by airstrikes on Monday.

"The blast immediately killed nine people, including an MSF staff member. Two patients died while being transferred to Al Jamhouri hospital," said an MSF statement.

It said that at the moment of the strike there were 23 patients in surgery, 25 patients in the maternity ward, 13 newborns and 12 children.

MSF confirmed that the hospital it supported in Abs, Hajjah province, was hit by an airstrike at 15:45 local time (1245 GMT).

It added that the hospital which it has been supporting since July 2015, was  partially destroyed and all remaining patients and staff have been evacuated.

"The location of the hospital was well known, and the hospital’s GPS coordinates were repeatedly shared with all parties to the conflict, including the Saudi-led coalition," the statement said, adding that "Whether intentional or a result of a negligence, this is unacceptable.”

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon condemned the airstrike. Ban was "deeply disturbed" by the intensification of fighting in Yemen, especially in populated areas, a spokesman for the UN Secretary General said.

Hospitals and medical personnel are explicitly protected under international humanitarian law and any attack directed against them is a violation of international law, the spokesman added.

The de facto authorities in northern Yemen, dominated by the Houthi rebel movement, blamed the attack on a Saudi-led coalition against the rebels, which has repeatedly pounded the region.

Earlier, Hajjah's provincial health director, Ayman Madhkour, said that 15 people were killed and more than 25 injured in the attack, which he said was carried out by coalition aircraft.

Eyewitnesses told dpa that the strike hit the hospital's emergency department. The victims were all civilians, including many women and children, Madhkour said.

“This is the fourth attack against an MSF facility in less than 12 months.....," said Teresa Sancristóval, MSF's desk manager for the Emergency Unit in Yemen.

MSF is active in 11 hospitals and health centres and provides support to another 18 hospitals and health centres in eight governorates of Yemen

Amnesty international called the strike "an atrocious attack that could amount to a war crime."

“Deliberately targeting medical facilities is a serious violation of international humanitarian law which would amount to a war crime. The circumstances of this attack must be thoroughly and independently investigated,” said Magdalena Mughrabi, Amnesty International’s Deputy Director of the Middle East and North Africa Programme.

Northern Yemen has been hit by frequent airstrikes by the Saudi-led coalition which supports Yemeni President Abd Rabu Mansour Hadi against the mainly Shiite Houthis, who control the capital Sana'a.

On Saturday, 10 children were killed in an attack on a school in neighbouring Saada province, according to MSF. Houthi officials blamed the coalition for that attack.

The conflict, ongoing since early 2014, has intensified since peace talks between Hadi's government and the rebels were suspended on August 6.

The UN secretary general last September called for a halt to the coalition's air campaign, saying it was responsible for most of the conflict's civilian casualties.

Shelling by the Houthis and allied forces on residential areas, especially in the central city of Taiz, has also resulted in considerable civilian casualties.

In June, Ban controversially removed the Saudi-led coalition from the annex of a UN report flagging entities that have killed and maimed children in conflicts.

He subsequently said that the decision had been taken under "undue pressure," including threats from member states to pull funding from various UN agencies in response to the listing.

Earlier on Monday, the coalition announced that it would permit the UN and humanitarian organizations to operate flights into Sana'a airport, whose closure it ordered after the suspension of the peace talks.

An alliance of 12 aid groups had Sunday said the closure of the airport put millions of lives at risk. They called for it to be reopened to commercial as well as aid flights in order to facilitate the arrival of vital supplies and free movement of civilians.

"The closure effectively seals Yemen off from the rest of the world at a time when half the population is malnourished and hospitals urgently require more medicine and medical supplies," Syma Jamil of the Norwegian Refugee Council said.

Yemen, one of the poorest countries in the Arab world, has been devastated by the conflict, which pits the Houthis and their ally, deposed president Ali Abdullah Saleh, against Hadi and a wide range of other forces including local tribes, Sunni Islamists, southern Yemeni secessionists and jihadis.

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.