What a difference five minutes can make in modern football, especially at a Euro finals that has seen an abundance of late goals and shocks.

With just five minutes remaining in Wednesday's Group D clash between Spain and Croatia, Spain were sitting pretty with a useful 1-1 draw that would have left them top of the group and heading for the easier half of the knockout bracket against one of the third-placed teams as their round of 16 opponents.

Instead, La Roja allowed Croatia an unlikely late winner and in consequence Spain must now face Group E winners Italy.

Monday's match in Saint-Denis in a repeat of the 2012 final which Spain won 4-0. The sides also met at Euro 2008, with Spain winning the quarter-final on penalties en route to the title.

"We know that Italy are going to be difficult opponents, they always are," said midfield anchorman Sergio Busquets.

"They will be keen to take revenge on us. We are sure of that ... but we think that we have the resources to be able to deal with them."

Midfielder Koke named the chances of progressing 50-50 because "there is no favourite in a match with two such big teams. It will be a hard-fought match and we must play really well to advance."

According to media reports, Koke could make the starting 11 for the first time at the tournament as coach Vicente del Bosque is considering changes, with Thiago and Aritz Aduriz also tipped to be brought in.

"We all want to play, especially in a game of such importance," Koke said. "But if we are not in the starting lineup then we should just accept that and not start complaining."

The Atletico Madrid midfielder was apparently referring to winger Pedro, who kicked up a fuss when he realized he wasn't going to be first-choice against Croatia.

Del Bosque says he has forgiven Pedro but seems to be in no hurry to put the Chelsea winger on the field.

Del Bosque has been quick to defend keeper David de Gea after his shaky display against Croatia, and is sure to opt for him again Monday instead of going back to veteran Iker Casillas.

"I don't think we lost because of De Gea. We lost for many reasons. We are all to blame.

"Italy have a lot of virtues and we will need to show them a lot of respect. They are very dangerous and efficient in both penalty areas.

"But we are in a good situation. We have a lot of respect for Italy but we are looking forward to causing them problems."

Monday's game could be Del Bosque's swansong on the Spain bench, given that he has said many times that he intends to retire after the tournament.

But Celta Vigo forward Nolito believes that more games are to follow in France because of the class of the Spanish side around playmaker Andres Iniesta.

"Spain i Spain and has a good team. We respect all opponents but we don't have to be afraid of anyone," Nolito said.

The Azzrri also lost their last match, 1-0 against Ireland with several reserves as they had already won the group.

Antonio Candreva is set to return into the line-up, and Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini expects details make the difference even though "Spain appear unbeatable" on paper.

Antonio conte's team has surprised so far in Spain and Chiellini hopes that this will continue Monday.

"No one believed in Italy but now we are here. It is nice to dream and we are allowed to, but without forgetting reality," he said.

"It will be a great game. It is a pity that it comes in the last 16 but that only motivates us even more."

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.