Portugal have scored a mere six goals in eight-and-a-half hours on the pitch at Euro 2016, but despite not winning a single match in regulation time they now find themselves in the last four of the competition.

"As we move further along, we get closer to our goal," coach Fernando Santos said. "We have the drive and ambition, and we want to bring great joy to the Portuguese people."

On Thursday Poland joined Iceland, Austria, Hungary and Croatia on the list of teams Portugal have faced in France and, like those before them, failed to beat Fernando Santos' gritty side.

Portugal probably had the better of the 1-1 quarter-final draw, despite falling behind to Robert Lewandowski's early opener, and Renato Sanches' deflected equalizer restored parity before half-time.

Star player Cristiano Ronaldo had another frustrating contest, missing a handful of chances he would have expected to convert but, crucially, the Portugal defence was generally solid.

And when the opportunity came to settle the tie from the penalty spot, they remained cool with five successful kicks while Jakub Blaszczykowski had his effort saved by keeper Rui Patricio.

"It's a lot of hard work to be this lucky," Sanches said. "It's a wonderful moment for this team ... we've been working hard, doing our best.

"People criticize but in the end we don't care because we're in the semi-finals."

Portugal were eliminated at the group stage of the 2014 World Cup but have now reached the last four of five out of six European Championships.

And they now head to Lyon next week to face Wales or Belgium looking for a return to the final for the first time since they hosted the tournament in 2004.

"We'll approach the semis in the same way we've done so far," Santos said. "Our feet are planted solidly on the ground. We'll be up against a very good team but we'll be prepared."

The margins in their games so far have been wafer thin - Poland are also undefeated in regular time over their five matches in France yet are going home while Portugal continue.

The Portuguese have only led one match so far and were repeatedly on the verge of going out in the final group stage game when they trailed three times to Hungary before sneaking out of Group F in third-place.

Logic would suggest that Portugal cannot keep squeezing through 50-50 encounters and unless Ronaldo finds his touch they could be in trouble.

But Sanches was a determined presence in the middle of the park in a man of the match performance against Poland, Nani is a buzzing, constant threat while others such as Joao Mario, Ricardo Quaresma and Joao Moutinho can also contribute creatively.

Goalkeeper Rui Patricio has been in superb form while the defence, despite suffering the wobbles against Hungary, has been generally solid. Even hot-headed centre-back Pepe - who was sent off at the World Cup for head-butting an opponent - has kept relatively calm.

"I don't usually single out players but Pepe was amazing," Santos said. "People talk about Cristiano Ronaldo and he's been playing some brilliant football but Pepe was fantastic."

Perhaps the marginal decline of Ronaldo - despite Santos' protestations - to merely being very good rather than out of this world is helping the team as they can no longer rely on a superhero to save them.

The proof will be in the next match. Or perhaps two.

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.