Andy Murray put in a "half-day" on court Friday, taming the legendary serve of Ivo Karlovic 6-1, 6-4, 7-6 (7-3) to post a straightforward win after a pair of five-setters earlier in the week at the French Open.

The second seed got on and off the Lenglen showcase court in less than two hours after his pair of marathon wins lasting more than three and a half hours each.

Karlovic, who fired 41 aces in the previous round, was limited to a modest 14 as Murray got a grip on the biggest serve in tennis, beating Karlovic for the seventh time without a loss.

"I got off to a quick start and Ivo, he fought to the end," Murray said of a 37-year-old opponent who holds the ATP career record of more than 10,000 aces. "He made it tough.

"I was glad to finally win in three sets. I was able to handle his serve, my return is the strongest part of my game.

"But when he's serving well, there's not much you can do. I had to just stay patient and take care of my service games."

Murray improved to 31-8 at Roland Garros, where he has reached three semi-finals. He handed Karlovic his heaviest defeat at a grand slam in four years.

Eighth seed Milos Raonic needed almost three hours to hold off Slovak Andrej Martin 7-6 (7-4), 6-2, 6-3, with the Canadian given painkillers for a problem with a hip.

The opening set took 72 minutes and required seven set points from Raonic, whose big serve was limited to just seven aces while breaking on seven of 19 chances.

On the women's side, Garbine Muguruza absorbed psychic energy from a day of warm weather to reach the fourth round 6-3, 6-0 over Yanina Wickmayer.

The Spanish fourth seed and the rest of the field got lucky as rain which had been forecast on the day held off.

Sixth seed Simona Halep, the 2014 finalist, also advanced, earning a third-round victory against rising Japanese teenager Naomi Osaka 4-6, 6-2, 6-3.

The 18-year-old who was born in Tokyo but grew up in New York, speaks barely any Japanese, but showed that her tennis needs no translation as she put the Romanian through the wringer in the first set of a contest lasting one and three-quarter hours.

Halep, winner of the Madrid clay title three weeks ago, finally prevailed with seven breaks of serve and 23 winners.

Muguruza said that after the cold weather which marked the opening days of the clay-court major, conditions for her match were ideal.

"It was a perfect day, the first match I played, it was so cold," said last year's Wimbledon finalist. "Today everything was easy - you go to warm up. Perfect sun. Then you go to the court, it's beautiful.

"It brings energy also to see that it's a nice day. If it's dark, you're like this (shrugging)."

Two seeds were knocked out as double Wimbledon winner and tenth seed Petra Kvitova lost in an upset to 108th-ranked American Shelby Rogers 6-0, 6-7 (3-7), 6-0.

Kvitova committed 36 unforced errors along with six double-faults in the subpar performance at an event where she has never excelled.

Australian Samantha Stosur won a battle of Roland Garros runners-up, as the 2010 finalist beat 2015 counterpart and number 11 Lucie Safarova 6-3, 6-7 (0-7), 7-5. Romanian Irina Begu defeated Germany's Annika Beck 6-4, 2-6, 6-1 .

"We played some good tennis today," Safarova said, "I was fighting, did very well in the second set, but lost a little bit beginning of the third. She served really well."

Related stories

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.