Malta's football chief says there is "overwhelming evidence" of suspicious betting around a World Cup qualifier against Lithuania last week which Malta lost 2-0.
A report drawn up by the Malta Football Association’s betting monitoring partners has shown a pattern of bets placed on Malta losing the October 11 game in Vilnius by 2-0 or more.
"The evaluation of the report says there was overwhelming evidence that people in betting had prior knowledge that Malta would lose the game by at least two goals," Malta FA president Norman Darmanin Demajo told a news conference Monday.
Both of Lithuania's goals in the qualifier came in the last 15 minutes.
Darmanin Demajo said suspicious betting continued to be registered up to 20 minutes before the end of the game. He said the association was looking into the evidence but gave no further details.
The Times of Malta newspaper revealed earlier on Monday that the FIFA commissioner appointed for the Group F qualifier visited Malta's dressing room before kick-off to warn players that the game had been identified as high-risk from a betting perspective.