Kyrgios, Tomic not included in Team Australia for Rio Olympics

Top tennis stars Nick Kyrgios and Bernard Tomic will miss the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro next month, as officials revealed the Australian line-up for the games on Monday.

An Australian tennis official said Kyrgios and Tomic were not chosen because they "remained unavailable."

Instead of the top-seeded players, John Millman (ranked 67) and Thanasi Kokkinakis (ranked 344) are included in the team, according to Australian Olympic Committee.

The men's doubles will feature John Peers and Chris Guccione.

In the women's team, Sam Stosur, former US Open champion and world number 16, and Russian-born Daria Gavrilova, currently ranked at 56, are selected in the team. They will play the doubles.

For Stosur, this will be her fourth Olympics appearance.

Last month, 18th-seeded Kyrgios announced pulling out of the Olympics, citing "unfair and unjust treatment" by the Australian Olympic officials.

The volatile player said the officials had "chosen to publicly and privately disparage me."

The officials had sent Krygios a 16-page letter chronicling his potentially disreputable conduct and asked him to "please explain."

Kitty Chiller, the chef de mission of the Australian Rio team, said in June similar letters were sent to shooter Michael Diamond, who is facing drunk-driving and firearms charges, and hockey player Anna Flanagan, who is at the centre of an alleged drunk-driving cover up.

"Admittedly, Nick's letter was 16 pages long. Theirs wasn't quite that long," she told reporters, adding he had chosen not to respond but to withdraw.

In May, Tomic made himself unavailable for the Rio Games, citing an extremely busy playing schedule and personal circumstances.

He had also been criticized by Chiller for holding his racquet the wrong way on match point at Madrid Masters.

"I don't care about that match point. Would you care if you were 23 and worth over $10 million?" he later told a press conference.

Last update: Mon, 04/07/2016 - 12:43
Author: 

More from Sport

Balotelli rails against alleged racist insults from Bastia fans

Italian football star Mario Balotelli has reacted on social media after claiming to be racially abused by Bastia...

New revelations expected on Russian doping in documentary

New revelations on doping practices in Russia were expected later Friday when a documentary on the subject was to be...

Manchester United end Real Madrid's reign atop Football Money List

Manchester United generated the highest revenue of any football club in history last season, according to...

Petition starts in Budapest with aim for referendum against Olympics

A petition against Budapest's bid for the 2024 Olympics started on Thursday, with the aim of having a referendum on...

Sevilla beat Real Madrid to end their 40-game unbeaten run

Sevilla ended Real Madrid’s 40-game unbeaten run on Sunday in Spain’s top division with a 2-1 victory.