Italy refused to vote in protest over Ballon d'Or list

The Italian national team coach Antonio Conte and the Azzurri's goalkeeper captain Gianluigi Buffon did not cast their votes for the FIFA Ballon d’Or award in an apparent protest against the exclusion of the star keeper from the list of candidates.

A spokesperson from the Italian football federation (FIGC) said that the refusal to vote was meant to be a signal to the world football governing body.

Buffon, a 37-year-old who won the last four Italian titles with Juventus and lost last year's Champions League final against Barcelona, was not on the long list of 59 candidates published by FIFA, which included five other goalkeepers. Bayern Munich's Manuel Neuer then made it to the 23-man shortlist issued in December.

Barcelona's Argentine star Lionel Messi won the Ballon d'Or for the fifth time at a gala in Zurich on Monday.

Last update: Tue, 12/01/2016 - 17:45
Author: 

More from Sport

Croatian footballer under investigation for tax evasion in Spain

The captain of Croatia's national football team and a member of the Real Madrid squad, Luka Modric (31), has come...

Chapecoense declared Copa Sudamericana champions after plane crash

The South American Football Confederation CONMEBOL Monday declared Chapecoense AF the winner of the 2-million-dollar...

Chelsea, Man City charged over scuffle; Aguero, Fernandinho banned

Chelsea and Manchester City face the likelihood of hefty fines after they were charged by the Football Association...

Blatter says he has lost CAS appeal against football ban

Former FIFA president Joseph Blatter said Monday he has lost his appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS)...

Scrappy first win gives Hamburg hope; Frankfurt miss chance

SV Hamburg secured a scrappy first win of the season 2-0 away to Darmstadt on Sunday to move off the bottom of the...