Germany Italy FRANCE SOCCER UEFA EURO 2016.jpg
Italy players react after losing the penalty shoot-out during the UEFA EURO 2016 quarter final match between Germany and Italy at Stade de Bordeaux in Bordeaux, France, 02 July 2016.
Photograph: EPA/VASSIL DONEV

Germany's victory over Italy in the Euro 2016 quarter-finals on Saturday - the first time they have beaten the Azzurri in tournament football - will be remembered fondly in Germany for the result's significance rather than for the game itself.

After a match high in tension but low on quality, what will live in the memory of everyone else who watched it is the curate's egg of a penalty shoot-out that settled it.

The strange behaviour of the Italian players, coupled with the fact that none of the elder statesmen in the German side seemed able to take a penalty, provoked a strong reaction among viewers of all persuasions.

Where to begin? With Graziano Pelle indicating to Manuel Neuer that he was going to attempt a Panenka-style chip before dragging his penalty feebly wide?

With Simone Zaza being brought on by Antonio Conte specifically to take a penalty only to blaze wildly over after performing a baffling and hilarious dressage-style routine in his run-up?

With the fact that every single English-based player that took a penalty missed, suggesting they've assimilated a little too well to their adopted country's customs?

Zaza's penalty is already the subject of a thousand Internet memes, while Mesut Oezil's miss for Germany prompted criticism from Bavarian finance minister Markus Soeder, whose tweet saying Oezil should be banned from penalties in future caused a furious backlash online.

"No more penalties for Oezil," he wrote. "Future penalties by young players only."

If Soeder was referring to the fact that some of Germany's most experienced players missed while the younger players held their nerve - Bastian Schweinsteiger and Thomas Mueller also missed while Julian Draxler and Joshua Kimmich, both under 23, scored - it was perhaps unfortunate that he chose to single out a player with an immigrant background to do so.

Soeder later deleted the tweet and clarified that he hadn't meant to single out Oezil, but many users were reluctant to accept his apologies.

Some posted screenshots of the deleted tweet with comments such as "the web never forgets" and "transparency and all that".

The shoot-out was also noteworthy in that it contained 18 penalties, equalling the highest-ever number set at a Euro when Czechoslovakia beat Italy in the third-place play-off at the 1980 European Championships.

If Soeder's ham-fisted comments were as ill-judged as Zaza's penalty, German chancellor Angela Merkel's reaction was more Jerome Boateng: precise and well-judged.

"What a game! Congratulations to the Germany team on reaching the semi-finals," she wrote on her Facebook account on Sunday morning. "I'm delighted with the win over Italy. Now we keep our fingers crossed!"

Merkel's comments were a reminder that, amid all the bizarre events of this shoot-out, there was one inevitable mundanity: Germany won.

Latest news

EU anti-fraud office eyeing claims against Merkel challenger Schulz

Martin Schulz, the main contender against German Chancellor Angela Merkel in upcoming elections, could face a probe for advocating questionable bonuses and promotions while European Parliament president, the EU's anti-fraud office said Thursday.

EFA calls on Croatian state leadership to protect Croatian cinema

The European Film Academy, along with the 600 Croatian professionals who signed the manifesto of "We’ve Had Enough", expressed its belief in the importance of the independence of Croatian film, and in preserving the autonomy of the existing Croatian audio visual model and the continuity of current practices.

PSA chief: We want to keep Opel German

The head of French carmaker PSA Group, which last week revealed that it was in talks to buy Opel from General Motors, said that Opel should remain German if the deal goes through.

Bayern round the clock - German champions launch own TV channel

Bayern Munich fans will be able to follow goings on at the Bundesliga record champions in a new way from next week when the club launches its own television channel.

'Weather bomb' hits transport, cuts power to 56,000 homes in Ireland

Storm Doris brought winds of up to 120 kilometres per hour to large areas of Ireland and Britain on Thursday, disrupting transport links and causing power cuts to tens of thousands of homes.

Croatia's registered unemployment rate rises to 15.4% in January

The registered unemployment rate in Croatia rose from 14.8% in December 2016 to 15.4% in January 2017, increasing for the fourth month in a row, the National Bureau of Statistics (DZS) said Thursday.

Norway's telecom group Telenor to leave Indian market

Norwegian telecommunications group Telenor said Thursday it was leaving the Indian telecom market and transferring its businesses there to Bharti Airtel.

Iraq claims advance in retaking Mosul airport from Islamic State

Iraqi forces wrested back half of Mosul's airport from Islamic State Thursday, shortly after entering the facility during their ongoing campaign to drive the extremist militia from its last key stronghold in the country.

Rights group: Video shows Cambodian police beating election candidate

A video posted on YouTube shows eight Cambodian paramilitary police beating a man identified as an opposition candidate at a Phnom Penh shopping mall, a rights group said Thursday. 

Malaysia asks Interpol to issue alert for suspects in N Korean death

Malaysia on Thursday requested that Interpol issue an alert for four North Koreans suspected of involvement in last week's killing of Kim Jong Nam, the estranged half-brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

British suspect arrested in Deutsche Telekom hacking

A 29-year-old British citizen suspected of involvement in a cyberattack that left nearly 1 million Deutsche Telekom customers without services last year has been arrested, German federal police said on Thursday.

Eight killed as bomb targets restaurant in Pakistan’s Lahore

A bomb ripped through a high-end restaurant in the Pakistani city of Lahore on Thursday, killing eight people, officials said, marking another attack amid a surge in violence by Islamist militants that has ended months of fragile calm.