Rafael Nadal struggled mightily before falling 6-1, 2-6, 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (8-6) to Lucas Pouille at the US Open on Sunday in a fourth-round marathon that lasted more than four hours.

The two-time champion was unable to capitalize on a 1-0 lead in the fifth set against the record third Frenchman to reach the last eight in New York - a first in the Open tennis era.

Novak Djokovic played his first match since the first round after a pair of walkovers, hammering Brit Kyle Edmund 6-1, 6-2, 6-4 in a post midnight finish

"It was great to play a match," the current title holder said. "I'm glad to be back after a weird week. I came out of the blocks well and started with the right intensity."

"I made him work for each point."

The top seed had a brief stumble in the third set before coming back from a break and taking the victory.

Nadal, 30, saved three match points in the decider but stuffed a forehand volley into the net to yield a fourth winning chance for his 22-year-old opponent.

"There were things I could do better, but I had the right attitude," Nadal said. "I fought right up to the last ball.

"But something more was not there today. I'm going to keep working to try to find it. I congratulate my opponent who probably played with better decisions than me on the last couple of points."

Pouille earned the biggest win of his career, wrapping it up with a forehand down the line.

"I couldn't dream better than this," he said.

Nadal has lost his last three five-set matches at the majors. The fourth seeded Spaniard came to the court having dropped only 20 games and stood perfect on sets before facing Pouille, a Wimbledon quarter-finalist.

Pouille now plays compatriot and tenth seed Gael Monfils, who beat Marcos Baghdatis 6-3, 6-2, 6-3.

The Cypriot is likely to be sanctioned after being caught scrolling through a phone during a changeover, a major disciplinary breach due to anti-corruption protocols.

Monfils kept his trick-shots to a minimum as he played it strictly business against Baghdatis.

"He's a good friend. I've known him for a long time," Monfils said. "I had [to]serve very consistently because he's a pretty good returner."

"I guess everything was fine today," the two-time New York semi-finalist said.

Ninth seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga booked his spot as he knocked out the final American man in the tournament, Jack Sock, 6-3, 6-3 6-7 (7-9), 6-2.

The French player is into the New York last eight for a second straight edition.

Second seed Angelique Kerber beat Petra Kvitova 6-3, 7-5 to put more pressure on Serena Willimas.

The American now has to reach the Saturday final in order to prevent her German rival from seizing the top ranking for the first time.

Kerber counts the event as the starting point of her career after she reached a semi-final in 2011.

Kerber will next face Roberta Vinci, the 2015 women's finalist, who returned to the quarters by defeating Lesia Tsurenko, 7-6 (7-5), 6-2.

Last year Vinci knocked Serena Williams out in the semi-finals, then lost an all-Italian final with Flavia Pennetta.

Former number one Caroline Wozniacki, twice a finalist, continued to surge after injury frustration as she eliminated US eighth seed Madison Keys 6-3, 6-4.

The number 74 will next play Anastasija Sevastova, who exited the tour with injury and motivation worries for 18 months from 2013-15. The Latvian beat British 13th seed Johanna Konta 6-4, 7-5. 

Related stories

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.