FIFA president, Swiss Gianni Infantino.jpg
FIFA president, Swiss Gianni Infantino, delivers a speech during the second day of 66th FIFA Congress in Mexico City, Mexico, 13 May 2016. FIFA congress runs from 12 to 13 May 2016.
Photograph: EPA/JOSE MENDEZ

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has again underlined his support for an expanded 40-team World Cup despite criticism of the extended 24-team Euro 2016 format.

Infantino told Germany's Bild newspaper in an interview published Saturday he believed that having more teams would increase the number of football fans worldwide.

The World Cup "is more than a competition; it is a social event which every one supports in a country," he said.

The FIFA Council will decide in October whether to increase the number of finalists from 32 to 40 for the 2026 World Cup. Opposition to the idea has come especially from the main European leagues.

Infantino said when a country competes at a World Cup for the first time it generates enthusiasm across generations.

"For the development of football is is therefore very important that we can bring in more countries and regions," he said.

Euro 2016 in France "is so far a great success" with matches "that were not boring at all" and "almost all (were) hard fought" and "evenly balanced."

Infantino meanwhile dismissed claims of personal financial gain as president of football's world governing body.

He said he had paid for all of his personal outgoings and "have always adhered to ethical principles in my professional life."

His comments follow media reports that FIFA had paid his personal expenses and that he had allowed himself to be flown in a private jet paid for by a Russian oligarch.

There had been unconfirmed reports of a FIFA independent ethics committee preliminary inquiry. Infantino said he fully supported the ethics committee and if necessary would provide information to any questions at any time.

Infantino also dismissed reports which said he had rejected a proposed salary, saying the issue was never about the amount but "how the process was managed."

He added: "The amount of my salary was always secondary. Once the contract is signed I will make the amount of my salary public."

In May, Domenico Scala, FIFA's former independent audit and compliance chairman, resigned in protest at a FIFA congress decision he said "undermines" reforms at football's scandal-hit governing body.

Scala was also responsible for determining Infantino's salary. Germany's Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung reported at the time that Infantino rejected a salary proposal of 2 million Swiss francs as "insulting." Infantino rejected the claim in later interviews with Swiss media.

Related stories

Corruption allegations against FIFA and football

Corruption allegations against FIFA

FIFA boss Infantino wants 32-team Club World Cup

Latest news

Iraq claims advance in retaking Mosul airport from Islamic State

Iraqi forces wrested back half of Mosul's airport from Islamic State Thursday, shortly after entering the facility during their ongoing campaign to drive the extremist militia from its last key stronghold in the country.

Rights group: Video shows Cambodian police beating election candidate

A video posted on YouTube shows eight Cambodian paramilitary police beating a man identified as an opposition candidate at a Phnom Penh shopping mall, a rights group said Thursday. 

Malaysia asks Interpol to issue alert for suspects in N Korean death

Malaysia on Thursday requested that Interpol issue an alert for four North Koreans suspected of involvement in last week's killing of Kim Jong Nam, the estranged half-brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

British suspect arrested in Deutsche Telekom hacking

A 29-year-old British citizen suspected of involvement in a cyberattack that left nearly 1 million Deutsche Telekom customers without services last year has been arrested, German federal police said on Thursday.

Eight killed as bomb targets restaurant in Pakistan’s Lahore

A bomb ripped through a high-end restaurant in the Pakistani city of Lahore on Thursday, killing eight people, officials said, marking another attack amid a surge in violence by Islamist militants that has ended months of fragile calm.

Philippine court orders arrest of top Duterte critic

Senator Leila De Lima, one of the most outspoken critics of Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, was on Thursday ordered arrested on illegal drug charges by a Philippine court.

Hrvatski Telekom reports 2016 net profit of HRK 934 mn

Hrvatski Telekom (HT) generated a net profit of HRK 934 million in 2016, which is 1% more than in 2015, the telecommunications company said on Thursday in a report on its financial results in 2016.

FDI in Croatia totals EUR 1.2 bn in Jan-Sept 2016

Foreign direct investment (FDI) in Croatia totalled EUR 1.227 billion in the first nine months of 2016, which is 552 million or 82% more than in the same period in 2015, analysts at Raiffeisenbank Austria (RBA) said in a report on Thursday, citing data provided by the Croatian National Bank.

Vietnam asks YouTube to block politically sensitive videos

Vietnamese authorities have demanded that YouTube block 17 videos that thez say violate the country's laws restricting speech, state media reported Thursday.

Croatian-Czech Society marks 25th anniversary

The Croatian-Czech Society (HCD) celebrated a quarter century since its foundation in Zagreb on Wednesday evening and the occasion was marked by the launch of a book, "The Croatian-Czech Society: The First 25 Years".

Trump administration reverses transgender bathroom protections

The Trump administration on Wednesday withdrew Obama-era guidance about the use of school and university bathrooms by transgender students, local media reported.

Several Dakota Access Pipeline protesters arrested as deadline passes

Several people at a camp protesting against a controversial oil pipeline in the US state of North Dakota were arrested Wednesday after a deadline to vacate the land passed, local media reported.