DFB makes World Cup payment demand on Beckenbauer confidante

Germany's football federation is demanding a sum of 6.7 million euros (7.3 million dollars) from a confidante of Franz Beckenbauer in connection with a payment linked to the 2006 World Cup.

The DFB confirmed Tuesday that it was requesting the payment from Fedor Radmann, a former vice-president of the 2006 German World Cup organizing committee.

Radmann told dpa the demand had gone to all senior figures in the 2006 World Cup organizing committee including former playing great Beckenbauer, who was president of the German organizing committee.

But DFB interim president Rainer Koch said only Radmann, who lives in Switzerland, had received the demand. This was connected to Swiss law relating to debt collection procedures.

Koch said the aim was similar to a process undertaken in Germany to prevent the DFB's claims lapsing under statute of limitation laws.

Radmann said the DFB was making similar claims on Beckenbauer, former DFB presidents Theo Zwanziger and Wolfgang Niersbach and former DFB general secretary Horst Schmidt.

The DFB had said last week it had lodged claims at a Hamburg court against the officials as "necessary measures to prevent the statute of limitation from running out" on possible legal action.

Radmann, who was an organizing committee vice-president until June 2003, said he had received the demand on January 8 at his home in Switzerland and given 20 days to make the payment, but had lodged an objection.

"I am aware that everybody is to get this (demand) or has already got it.... everybody. Therefore that means, Beckenbauer, Zwanziger, Niersbach, Schmidt and myself," Radmann said.

The sum involved corresponds to a payment from German World Cup organizers to football governing body FIFA in 2005.

The money was declared as payment for a World Cup cultural event which never took place. What then happened to the money has not been established.

Radmann responded after a report in Germany's Bild daily which said he had received the demand from the DFB.

The DFB has appointed the law firm Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer to investigate claims of corruption linked to the awarding of the 2006 World Cup. Freshfields is due to present its report on the affair on March 4.

Last update: Thu, 23/06/2016 - 18:24
Author: 

More from Sport

Reports: AC Milan sale to Chinese group postponed to March

AC Milan's controlling company Fininvest and Sino-Europe Sports have agreed on moving the sale of the Serie A club...

Croatian footballer under investigation for tax evasion in Spain

The captain of Croatia's national football team and a member of the Real Madrid squad, Luka Modric (31), has come...

Chapecoense declared Copa Sudamericana champions after plane crash

The South American Football Confederation CONMEBOL Monday declared Chapecoense AF the winner of the 2-million-dollar...

Chelsea, Man City charged over scuffle; Aguero, Fernandinho banned

Chelsea and Manchester City face the likelihood of hefty fines after they were charged by the Football Association...

Blatter says he has lost CAS appeal against football ban

Former FIFA president Joseph Blatter said Monday he has lost his appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS)...