Joseph 'Sepp' Blatter Fifa.jpg
Photograph: EPA/PATRICK B. KRAEMER

Banned former FIFA president Joseph Blatter has denied claims he enriched himself over the last five years at football's governing body.

"Everything is clean and fair as my lawyer, Richard Cullen, has said," Blatter told dpa Saturday.

His comments follow an internal investigation at FIFA which said Blatter and two other former FIFA top officials enriched themselves by more than 79 million Swiss francs (80 million dollars) in the last five years.

Blatter's US lawyer Cullen had said later Friday: "We look forward to showing FIFA that Mr Blatter's compensation payments were proper, fair and in line with the heads of major professional sports leagues around the world."

In the latest developments to rock FIFA, lawyers investigating the payments said Blatter, former secretary general Jerome Valcke and former finance director Markus Kattner made "a coordinated effort...to enrich themselves through annual salary increases, World Cup bonuses and other incentives."

Blatter and Valcke were banned for six and 12 years respectively by FIFA's ethics committee in February. Both deny wrongdoing.

Kattner was last month dismissed as FIFA's deputy secretary for "breaches of his fiduciary responsibilities in connection with his employment."

The Quinn Emanuel law firm conducting the investigation said "contract arrangements benefited a small group of former FIFA officials" and some contained "provisions that appear to violate Swiss law," according to a FIFA statement Friday, one day after Swiss prosecutors again raided the organization's headquarters.

Quinn Emanuel partner Bill Burck said "the evidence appears to reveal a coordinated effort by three former top officials of FIFA to enrich themselves through annual salary increases, World Cup bonuses and other incentives."

FIFA said that "the investigation has revealed evidence of breaches of fiduciary duty."

The findings also raised concerns about lack of oversight by FIFA’s compensation sub-committee, it added.

"FIFA has shared this information with the Office of the Swiss Attorney General and it will brief the U.S. Department of Justice on the matters as well," it announced, referring to criminal proceedings in football corruption cases in both countries.

In September, Swiss authorities launched a criminal process against Blatter on suspicion that he mismanaged FIFA funds.

Blatter's office was raided and documents were seized on September 24 for the first time.

Swiss prosecutors were looking into "a disloyal payment" of 2 million Swiss francs by Blatter to Michel Platini, the former head of European football body UEFA. The transaction in February 2011 was purportedly made for work that Platini performed about 10 years earlier.

FIFA has banned Blatter and Platini from all football-related activities in the wake of the scandal.

The Swiss top prosecutors also suspect that Blatter closed a contract in detriment to FIFA's interests in 2005 with Jack Warner, the disgraced former head of the Central and North American soccer body CONCACAF.

In March, Swiss authorities also initiated proceedings against Valcke for suspected disloyal conduct of business and other possible criminal offences.

Blatter had led FIFA since 1998 but announced his resignation in June 2015 shortly after corruption allegations against him and senior FIFA officials surfaced.

US prosecutors have charged numerous Latin American football officials including Warner with corrupt dealings related to marketing contracts.

Blatter's successor Gianni Infantino was tasked with cleaning up the game but he too has come under pressure after German media reported he requested an audio recording of a council meeting held last month in Mexico City be deleted.

He was also accused of being involved in a plot to remove former independent audit and compliance chairman Domenico Scala, who eventually resigned in protest at a FIFA congress decision which allowed FIFA's new-look council the right to appoint and dismiss members of key control bodies.

FIFA hit back by saying: "Any insinuations this decision was the result of a conspiracy are ludicrous."

Related stories

Corruption allegations against FIFA and football

Corruption allegations against FIFA

Blatter says he has lost CAS appeal against football ban

Latest news

Mosque attended by Berlin attacker Amri closed, police confirm

The mosque in Berlin attended by Berlin truck attacker Anis Amri has been closed. The mosque is permanently closed, read a note in German and Turkish on the door of the prayer rooms which was seen on Tuesday.

German army to expand to almost 200,000 soldiers

Germany's Bundeswehr, plans to expand its number of professional soldier to 198,000 by 2024 because of increasing duties, the German Defence Ministry announced on Tuesday.

Fired Audi engineer says he was 'sacrificed' for emissions scandal

A fired Audi engineer was "sacrificed" amid the ongoing VW group diesel emissions scandal, his lawyer claimed in court on Tuesday as he contested his client's dismissal.

French police arrest three over suspected terror plans, source says

French authorities have arrested three men in relation to suspected plans to carry out attacks in the country or travel to Syria, a source close to the investigation told dpa on Tuesday.

UN: Trial against Gaddafi regime was unfair, flawed

Former members of the Gaddafi regime did not get a fair trial in Libya because the proceedings were so seriously compromised, the United Nations criticized in a report on Monday.

Croatia remains Bosnia's biggest trade partner in 2016

Croatia is still the most important foreign trade partner to Bosnia and Herzegovina, according to figures released by the BiH Chamber of Foreign Trade which show that in 2016 the two countries' trade had gone up.

Red Cross: Bodies of 74 migrants wash ashore in Libya

The bodies of 74 migrants washed ashore in Libya, in the north-western city of Zawiya, a spokesman of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) said Tuesday.

Ancelotti makes charity donation after middle finger gesture

Bayern Munich coach Carlo Ancelotti has agreed to donate 5,000 euros (5,200 dollars) to a charity run by the German football federation DFB following his middle finger gesture towards Hertha Berlin fans.

Azerbaijan's long-time leader Aliyev appoints wife as vice president

The long-time president of the oil-rich, Caspian Sea nation of Azerbaijan, Ilham Aliyev, appointed his wife, Mehriban Aliyeva, as vice president on Tuesday.

HSBC reports 62-per-cent fall in annual profit, blames one-off costs

Banking giant HSBC on Tuesday reported a 62-per-cent fall in its annual profit last year, blaming losses incurred from the sale of HSBC Bank Brazil and other one-off costs.

Le Pen quits meeting with Lebanon's Sunni cleric over headscarf row

France's far-right presidential candidate Marine Le Pen walked away from a meeting on Tuesday with Lebanon's senior Muslim Sunni cleric after she refused to wear a headscarf.

Podravka revenues up 15 pct, profit up 54 pct

The Podravka Group that operates in two main business segments: food and pharmaceuticals, generated a net profit in 2016 of HRK 182.4 million, which is 54.7% more than in 2015 without taking into account the one-off effect of consolidating the Zito company or deferred tax returns of Belupo in 2015, according to the company'y unaudited financial statements released on Tuesday.

Chinese prefecture requires all cars to install tracking devices

A prefecture in China’s troubled north-western province of Xinjiang is requiring all vehicles to install satellite tracking devices, a move that comes just weeks after authorities warned against cars being used for terrorist attacks.

Rohingya activist urges companies to stop investing in Myanmar

Foreign companies need to stop investing in Myanmar in order to stop the country's discrimination against its Muslim minority Rohingya, a prominent Myanmar activist said Tuesday.

ASEAN concerned about militarization in disputed South China Sea

South-East Asian countries are concerned about growing militarization in the disputed South China Sea and stressed the need for dialogue to ease tensions, the Philippines’ foreign minister said Tuesday.