default_eblnews.jpg

A joint European and Russian mission to look for signs of life on Mars has successfully placed a spacecraft into the planet's orbit, the European Space Agency said Wednesday, although the signal from a landing probe was lost during its descent.

"We have a mission around Mars," Michel Denis, flight director for the ExoMars mission, said on the ESA Twitter feed.

Cheers erupted two hours earlier in the European Space Agency's mission control room as the ExoMars mission's Trace Gas Orbiter (TGO) emerged from behind Mars to ping a "loud and clear" signal at our home planet.

The insertion into orbit confirmed that "we have a good spacecraft in the right place," Denis said.

In a fraught dual manoeuvre, the TGO was entering orbit while the Schiaparelli test probe was making its way at breakneck speed to the Martian floor.

The TGO data confirms that a crucial part of the ExoMars mission, in cooperation with Russia's Roscosmos, has been successful.

The news was less positive for the Schiaparelli lander. ESA said that there were "not good signs" from the probe.

Scientists were "trying to confirm contact with the Entry, Descent & Landing Demonstrator Module (EDM), Schiaparelli, which entered the Martian atmosphere some 107 minutes after TGO started its own orbit insertion manoeuvre," ESA said on its website.

"The signal was lost some time prior to landing," the statement said.

"Experts will work through the night to assess the situation" with the Schiaparelli probe, ESA said on Twitter.

An earlier tweet by ESA Operations said the recording from Schiaparelli was "inconclusive."

A press briefing was expected on Thursday morning.

Schiaparelli's automated landing manoeuvre started 121 kilometres above the surface, braking from a speed of 21,000 kilometres an hour. Mission control at Darmstadt in Germany was unable to intervene given the time delay of some 10 minutes.

If all goes well, the batteries will provide power for a few days for data to be sent back to Earth from the Meridiani Planum in the Martian highlands.

Schiaparelli has a sort of webcam on its underside that will shoot 15 black-and-white photographs of the Martian surface at intervals of 1.5 seconds, starting at 3 kilometres up.

The probe left Earth from Russia's Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan in March together with the TGO, from which it separated on Sunday.

The TGO is set to begin its analysis of the Martian atmosphere at the end of 2017 and will serve as a communications relay for the rover which ExoMars plans to send to Earth's neighbour in 2020.

Schiaparelli's main aim is to gather experience for that second phase of the mission.

The rover is designed with the ability to drill two metres down into the surface, going considerably deeper than US missions to look for molecules of a biological nature.

Meanwhile, the TGO will gather data on the Martian atmosphere, looking for methane in particular as a sign of biological activity. Using a neutron detector it will also look for ice under the surface in a mission lasting at least until 2022.

By contrast, Schiaparelli will cease functioning when its batteries run out after just a few days.

ESA is under pressure to deliver results after its previous project to land a spacecraft on Mars failed when the British-built Beagle 2 was declared lost on Christmas Day 2003, only to be found 11 years later by NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.