Three kidnapped reporters released in southern Turkey

Turkey's state-run Anadolu news agency said that three of its journalists were released Sunday, two days after they were kidnapped in the country's restive south.

The journalists disappeared on Friday in the town of Nusaybin, the agency said.

Anadolu reported that the banned Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) had carried out the kidnapping and held the men at an unknown location.

The PKK, which has been engaged in intense fighting with government forces after a two-year ceasefire broke down last year, has claimed responsibility for their capture.

The agency first reported the incident on Sunday, shortly before the reporters were released. It has not given further details.

It also said Sunday that 21 suspects have been arrested in connection with a recent deadly suicide bombing in Ankara. President Tayyip Erdogan had previously placed the number at 14.

The militant Kurdistan Freedom Falcons (TAK) claimed Wednesday's attack, which killed 29 people, including the suicide bomber. This countered previous claims from the government that Syrian Kurds from the People's Protection Units (YPG) had been behind the blast.

The YPG, which is a key ally in the United States' military offensive against Islamic State in Syria, denied any involvement.

TAK is seen as a splinter that broke away from the PKK more than a decade ago, though some security experts claim there are still links.

Ankara regards TAK as simply an extended branch of the YPG and PKK, Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said on Saturday, according to a report from Anadolu.

Last update: Sun, 21/02/2016 - 13:37
Author: 

More from Europe

Left-winger and former premier top French primary

Benoit Hamon and Manuel Valls were out in front in France's nationwide primary on Sunday to choose who will be the...

Romanian president joins thousands in anti-government rally

Thousands of Romanians were joined by President Klaus Iohannis in a street protest in Bucharest on Sunday against...

Suspected accomplice detained in Germany in foiled Vienna attack

A 21-year-old man and his wife have been arrested in their home in the western German city of Neuss on suspicion of...

May vows to press Trump on "unacceptable" remarks in Friday meeting

British Prime Minister Theresa May on Sunday vowed to confront US President Donald Trump about any "unacceptable"...

Hungarian bus company probed for negligence after Italy crash

Criminal negligence charges are being mulled against the owners of a bus that was in a fatal accident in Italy at...