GERMANY CRIME TERROR SUSPECT DETAINED.jpg
Ammar from Syria, a neighbour of the Syrian in whose apartment a suspected terrorist was arrested on 10 October 2016, sits in his apartment in Leipzig, Germany, 11 October 2016. The 22-year-old suspected terrorist al-Bakr was taken by fellow Syrian refugees and handed over to the police.
Photograph: EPA/JAN WOITAS

Three Syrian refugees hailed as "heroes" by Germany's media for their role in the arrest of a suspected terrorist, believed to have been planning an attack on a Berlin airport, have denied any involvement in the plot.

The trio overpowered Jaber al-Bakr, 22, bound him with electric cable and held him in an apartment in the eastern German city of Leipzig after they realized he was wanted by the police.

They refused al-Bakr's offer of money to release him as they waited for the police to arrive.

Al-Bakr hanged himself in his Leipzig prison cell on Wednesday, sparking a major political scandal, with the government in the state of Saxony refusing on Friday to hold an independent inquiry into the events surrounding the suicide.

Before his death, al-Bakr had claimed the three refugees - who had provided him shelter after he narrowly escaped police capture at the weekend - were part of the terrorism plan, which the authorities said had "an Islamic State context."

"We did not know who he was," one of the three Syrians, identified as Mohamed A, told the daily Bild, which along with other media has referred to Mohamed and his two friends as heroes.

"He wanted to take revenge on us from behind bars because we had turned him over to the police," Mohamed told the newspaper.

Members of the Syrian refugee community have praised the three and two lawmakers in Chancellor Angela Merkel's national ruling coalition have said they should be decorated with state honours.

"He is a hero, because when the terrorists find out his identity they will massacre his entire family in Syria," 26-year-old Ammar told dpa, referring to one of the three Syrians, his neighbour in Leipzig identified only as Ali.

The three Syrians are now in hiding fearing revenge from the Islamic State extremist group. "Up until today, we are still not protected," the 37-year-old Mohamed told Bild.

The authorities have refused to provide any details about the three Syrians, who Bild said were questioned by police on Monday before being released.

The prosecutor in Saxony, Klaus Fleischmann, said Thursday that he had no knowledge that the three were not part of the investigation into al-Bakr, adding that he had no idea where there were.

Saxony Justice Minister Sebastian Gemkow has repeatedly rejected suggestions that he should resign in the wake of al-Bakr's suicide, while federal Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said the death was a blow to the fight against terrorism.

Saxony's premier, Stanislaw Tillich, admitted on Friday that mistakes had been made in the handling of al-Bakr's incarceration but ruled out holding an independent inquiry into his death.

"In any event, the suicide should have been prevented," Tillich told the upper house of the German parliament, the Bundesrat, which represents the country's 16 states.

"Dealing with a prisoner accused of terrorism was not handled in necessary way," he said. But "the establishment of an independent investigation commission is opposed by both the Saxony state government and myself."

Latest news

Petrokemija posts HRK 87.3m loss in 2016

The Petrokemija artificial fertiliser manufacturer made HRK 1.93 billion in revenues in 2016, expenditures were HRK 2.02 billion and the loss was HRK 87.3 million, down 5.6% on the year, the Kutina-based plant said on Monday.

Wigemark says election legislation amendments of utmost importance for Bosnia

Wigemark said that amending the election legislation and continuing the process for joining the EU were the most important political processes in Bosnia and Herzegovina. 

Egyptian court upholds 10 death sentences in 2012 football riot

Ten defendants in a 2012 Egyptian football stadium riot, in which 74 people were killed, saw their death sentences upheld by an Egyptian court Monday.

Italian cops bust ring giving fake EU papers to 'enormous number'

Police said Monday they had busted a criminal ring that sold fake work papers to thousands of immigrants, allowing them to obtain Italian residency permits and access to the rest of the European Union.

Militants launch two rockets into Israel from Sinai

Two rockets fired from Egypt's Sinai peninsula landed in Israel on Monday.

US vice president reaffirms commitment to European Union

The United States remains committed to a "continued cooperation and partnership" with the European Union, US Vice President Mike Pence says.

Strike shuts museums and archaeological sites in Greece

The majority of archaeological sites and museums in Greece will remain closed on Monday.

Iran carries out more missile tests despite US pressure

Despite US sanctions, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard carried out more missile tests on Monday, part of three days of military manoeuvres.

Eleven injured as migrants storm Spanish enclave of Ceuta

Around 350 migrants managed to scale the 6-metre-high double border fence around the Spanish enclave of Ceuta in Morocco early Monday.

One Vietnamese sailor dead, seven abducted in attack off Philippines

Suspected pirates killed a crew member of a Vietnamese-flagged cargo ship and abducted seven in the latest attack in southern Philippine waters, coast guard officials said Monday.

Famine declared in parts of South Sudan - 100,000 facing starvation

More than 100,000 people are facing starvation in parts of violence-plagued South Sudan, three UN agencies said Monday as they declared famine in parts of the country.

North Korean envoy to Malaysia: 'We cannot trust the investigation'

North Korea "cannot trust the investigation" by Malaysian police into the death last week of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un's half-brother, Pyongyang's ambassador to Malaysia said Monday.