An asylum seeker from Syria killed himself and injured 12 others in a bombing outside a music festival in Bavaria, a state government official said early Monday.
The 27-year-old, who arrived in Germany two years ago, was denied asylum last year but was allowed to remain in Germany due to the ongoing conflict in Syria, Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann said.
The suspect had tried to kill himself on two prior occasions and had been treated at a psychiatric clinic, the minister said. The suspect was known to police.
The bombing was being treated as attempted murder by the Bavarian state prosecutor, but authorities were still investigating whether the crime was an act of terrorism.
"We can't rule it out," Herrmann told reporters in Ansbach.
The explosion occurred near the entrance to the Ansbach Open 2016 music festival, where approximately 2,500 people were in attendance, Ansbach Mayor Carda Seidel said.
The open air concert came to an immediate halt after the bombing and panic ensued in the city centre.
Paramedics were seen carrying stretchers, and the old city was entirely cordoned off. Rescue vehicles were assembled near the Ansbach castle and a helicopter with a searchlight circled the city.
Approximately 200 police officers were dispatched to the scene, along with 350 other rescue personnel.
The bombing was the third bloody incident within a week in Bavaria. It followed Friday's shooting rampage in Munich that left 10 dead, including the 18-year-old shooter. On July 18, a 17-year-old attacked and severely wounded passengers on a train in Wuerzburg.
Over the past five years in Germany there have been several high-profile attacks in which people have been injured or killed. The number has risen sharply after a recent spate of attacks.
A bombing in the Bavarian town of Ansbach that killed one and injured 12 others was "very likely" an act of Islamist terrorism, a state government official said Monday.
At least one explosive device detonated late Sunday evening in the city centre of Ansbach.