A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.
The 30-year-old man is a Sunni Muslim and has said he disliked Shiite Muslims, but denied involvement in the October 11 attack in Malmo. No one was injured.
Prosecutor Agnetha Hilding Qvarnstrom argued in her opening statement that the attack - where two petrol bombs were deployed - was an act of terrorism. It aimed at inciting fear among Shiite Muslims in Sweden, the online edition of the daily Sydsvenskan reported.
No traces of DNA or fingerprints were found at the scene, but the prosecution noted that the man's mobile phone was connected to a mobile mast near the scene at the time of the attack.
An analysis of his computer also showed propaganda and clips linked to Islamic State, which has staged attacks on Shiite Muslims, notably in the Middle East.
Qvarnstrom said the man had also been in contact shortly after the attack with a propaganda site that the Islamic State used.
The extremist group later said it had commissioned the attack on the provisional mosque.
The prosecutor requested that the man, if convicted, be deported after serving his sentence. He was arrested in December.