Steinmeier: Ukraine agrees to new ceasefire for eastern regions

Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenkop agreed on Wednesday to a new ceasefire for the country's conflict-ridden eastern regions, German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier said after meeting with Poroshenko.

If the Ukrainian military and the pro-Russian rebels observe the ceasefire for more than a week, there will be a chance to achieve a long-term separation of the warring sides, Steinmeier said in comments carried by news agency UNIAN.

On Tuesday, the leaders of the two major pro-Russian separatist groups in eastern Ukraine announced that they would ban their militias from opening fire on the Ukrainian military, starting at midnight on Wednesday.

The new ceasefire follows an escalation of violence in recent weeks amid heightened tensions between Russia and Ukraine.

Both countries put troops on full combat alert last month after Russia accused Ukrainian forces of planning attacks in the Crimea region.

Russia occupied and annexed Crimea from Ukraine two years ago in response to Kiev ousting its pro-Russian president amid mass protests calling for closer ties with the West.

Russia has since supported the simmering separatist rebellion in Ukraine's two easternmost regions, Donetsk and Luhansk, but has denied allegations that it has provided weapons and troops for the revolt.

More than 9,000 people have been killed in the conflict, according to estimates by the United Nations.

In depth coverage

Pro-Russian rebel leaders ban opening fire on Ukrainian military

The leaders of the two major pro-Russian separatist groups in eastern Ukraine announced on Tuesday that they are banning their militias from opening fire against the Ukrainian military, Russian state news agency TASS reported.

Read more
Last update: Tue, 13/09/2016 - 16:47
Last update: Thu, 15/09/2016 - 01:02
Author: 

More from Europe

May vows to press Trump on "unacceptable" remarks in Friday meeting

British Prime Minister Theresa May on Sunday vowed to confront US President Donald Trump about any "unacceptable"...

Hungarian bus company probed for negligence after Italy crash

Criminal negligence charges are being mulled against the owners of a bus that was in a fatal accident in Italy at...

Number of missing at Italy avalanche-struck hotel rises to 24

The number of people still missing in a central Italian mountain hotel that was buried by a massive avalanche...

Report: British government hid failed test of nuclear-capable missile

The British government covered up a failed test of a nuclear-capable missile last year, weeks before a vote in...

Bus crash survivors tell of 'heroes' who saved their lives

Survivors of a bus crash that claimed 16 lives in northern Italy over the weekend told local media Sunday they were...