Russia threatened Monday to take military action against violators of the Syrian ceasefire, highlighting the fragility of the current situation.

Russia and the US, which support opposing sides in the Syrian civil war, brokered the ceasefire, which has been the basis for restarting UN-brokered peace talks in Geneva last week.

Russian officials in recent days have announced that there have been about 250 violations of the pact since it came into effect last month, with at least 60 civilians killed.

If Russia gets no response from the US on its proposals for ensuring the ceasefire pact, it will start applying the agreement's rules unilaterally on March 22, General Sergei Rudskoi said Monday in comments carried by state news agency TASS.

"We emphasize that military force will be used upon obtaining credible evidence of an armed group systematically violating the commitments," said Rudskoi, head of the Russian military's Main Operations Directorate.

At the Geneva talks, UN mediator Staffan de Mistura said he was confident that Russia and the US would overcome the ceasefire issue.

He noted that both countries have been running a joint operations centre to monitor the truce.

"The moment they don't talk substantively, we go back to the past. We can't afford it, and they know it, too," he said.

However, the UN diplomat warned that the future of the ceasefire in Syria depends on progress at the peace talks.

De Mistura received a negative response Monday when he urged Syrian government envoy Bashar al-Jaafari to enter into talks about political transition immediately.

"He said it was premature at the moment to talk about it," reported de Mistura, who is conducting the indirect talks by shuttling between the government and opposition delegations.

The truce had been largely holding and it was accompanied by a surge in aid deliveries, de Mistura said, "but neither of the two can be sustained if we don't get the progress on the political transition."

While the opposition has demanded the resignation of President Bashar al-Assad, al-Jaafari insisted Monday the government would not discuss such matters.

"The president has nothing to do with the Syrian-Syrian indirect talks," he told reporters.

On Friday, Russian general Rudskoi said Russia's air force would continue bombing UN-designated terrorist organizations in Syria, specifically Islamic State and the al-Qaeda affiliated al-Nusra Front.

The ceasefire does not extend to these groups.

Days earlier, President Vladimir Putin had ordered the Russian military to withdraw the majority of its forces from Syria, saying their task had been fulfilled.

Russia began a bombing campaign in Syria six months ago to provide support to President Bashar al-Assad, a longtime ally.

Al-Assad's military has regained significant territory with Russia's help. Russia has said that the main purpose of its campaign in Syria has been to stamp out terrorism and restore stability.

Latest news

Danish premier and opposition leader reject EU referendum

Danish Prime Minister Lars Lokke Rasmussen and the leader of the main opposition Social Democrats both reject staging a referendum on the country's membership of the European Union as suggested by eurosceptics.

French PM slams "irresponsible" Fillon over "near-civil war" comment

French Prime Minister Bernard Cazeneuve hit back Monday at conservative presidential candidate Francois Fillon, accusing him of being "irresponsible" for saying the race was taking place in a climate of "near-civil war."

Serbia opens two more policy areas in its EU accession talks

Serbia on Monday opened two new policy areas in its EU entry talks, thus bringing the number of opened policy areas to eight.

EC: Economic sentiment for Croatia deteriorates in February

The Economic Sentiment Indicator (ESI), a composite indicator made up of five sectoral confidence indicators, deteriorated for Croatia in February with the subdued confidence of companies from the services and retail sectors having a higher weight than improving consumers' confidence, according to a report released by the European Commission on Monday.

Frankfurt, London exchange operators' stock fall on merger doubts

Shares in the operators of the London Stock Exchange (LSE) and the Deutsche Boerse fell sharply on Monday after the LSE threw fresh doubts on their planned 29-billion-euro (30.1-billion-dollar) merger to forge Europe's biggest exchange.

ICJ asks Bosnia's leadership to state its position on review request

The State Presidency of Bosnia and Herzegovina will have to make a clear statement as to whether it supports the request for a review of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) genocide ruling against Serbia, the Croat member of the country's three-member presidency, Dragan Covic, said on Monday.

White Helmets, grateful for Oscar nod, hope for peace in Syria

Members of the Syria Civil Defence group, a neutral team of some 3,000 volunteers providing aid to Syria's rebel-held areas, expressed joy on Monday that a film documenting their work won an Oscar for best short documentary.

Arson attack at French cultural institute in Athens

Unknown assailants have carried out an arson attack on the French cultural institute in Athens, the fire brigade and police reported on Monday.

INA Group posts core business profit of HRK 607 mn

The INA oil and gas group made positive results in 2016, with profit from operations reaching HRK 607 million, compared to a HRK 1.34 billion loss for 2015, the Zagreb-headquartered group stated in a consolidated financial report issued on Monday.

Report: Former Croatian football star Cvetkovic found dead

The former Yugolsavia international and Bundesliga defender Zvezdan Cvetkovic has died, the Croatian state broadcaster HRT reported Monday.

Youth who posted anti-Serb stickers in Vukovar placed in custody

Following a police investigation, a 19-year-old youth from the eastern town of Vukovar, suspected of posting anti-Serb stickers on bus stops along the town's Trpinjska Street, has been placed in custody on the suspicion of inciting violence and hatred, the county police department said on Monday.

US strongly condemns neo-Nazi march in Zagreb

The US Embassy in Zagreb on Monday strongly condemned neo-Nazi and pro-Ustasha views expressed during a demonstration by several dozen people, organised by the non-parliamentary far-right Autochthonous Croatian Party of Rights (A-HSP) in Zagreb on Sunday.