Italy recalled Friday its ambassador to Cairo after its investigators failed to obtain key evidence from Egyptian peers about Giulio Regeni, an Italian university researcher brutally murdered in Egypt two months ago.

Ambassador Maurizio Massari was summoned to Rome "for consultations" on "an urgent assessment of the most opportune moves to renew efforts to find out the truth on the barbarous murder of Giulio Regeni," Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni said.

Separately, Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi endorsed the move in a Facebook message, warning that "Italy will stop only before the truth."

The remarks came at the end of a two-day round of talks in Rome between Italian police and prosecutors and Egyptian counterparts, organized after Italy complained that Egypt was dragging its feet over the affair.

The Egyptian Foreign Ministry said late Friday that it has not yet been "officially" informed that the ambassador was recalled, nor of the reasons behind the decision.

"So far there has been no statement on the results of the meetings between the Egyptian investigating team and the Italians," ministry spokesman Ahmad abu Zeid said. 

The ministry is "waiting for the return of the Egyptian investigation team to listen to their assessment of the outcome of the meetings," he said.

Zeid added that Cairo would take into account Rome's take on the discussions and that "the situation will be evaluated in an integrated manner."

The Italian side wanted Egyptian authorities to provide mobile phone data tracking Regeni's movements and video footage from the Cairo underground station he is believed to have entered on the day of his disappearance, but the material has not been provided.

The Regeni case has sparked global outrage and attracted renewed scrutiny of Egypt's human rights record under President Abdel-Fattah al-Sissi, amid suspicions - refuted by Cairo - that Egyptian security agencies had a hand in the killing.

Regeni was in Cairo to research trade unions, a politically sensitive topic in Egypt, on behalf of Britain's Cambridge University.

He disappeared on January 25, a day on which Egypt's security services were on high alert for possible demonstrations to mark the fifth anniversary of the uprising that ousted longtime dictator Hosny Mubarak.

Seven days later, the 28-year-old was found dead on the side of a motorway on the outskirts of Cairo, with what Italian officials who later inspected the body said were clear signs of torture. Egyptian authorities initially blamed the death on a road accident.

Several other explanations for the murder were offered by Egyptian officials and media in the following weeks - most recently that Regeni was the victim of a gang of robbers - but none of them were judged credible by Italian authorities.

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.