A man was shot dead on Tuesday in the south-eastern Turkish city of Gaziantep while attempting to attack the police department building, Dogan news agency cited Governor Ali Yerlikaya as saying.
Police exchanged fire with the attacker at a checkpoint in front of the building, with one officer suffering slight injuries, the report stated.
Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus said police were looking for a second "terrorist" who was on the run. The area around the facility was blocked off.
CNN Turk reported earlier that at least one person had tried to storm the building, but was prevented by officers from doing so.
State news agency Anadolu reported that shots were fired outside the building and ambulances were rushed to the scene.
It said police had clashed with "a number of armed people" in front of the building.
Kurtulmus said the attack was similar to one carried out five days ago in the western Turkish city of Izmir, in which a car bombing targeted a court before police killed the two attackers in a shoot-out. Two others died in that attack. A further attacker is still on the run.
The authorities suspect the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) of being behind the Izmir attack. Dogan reported that 18 people have been arrested in connection with the attack.
Gaziantep was rocked by an attack on a wedding party in October in which 50 people were killed and dozens injured. Turkey blamed Islamic State for the attack, but the militia has not yet claimed responsibility.
The government said a child was used as a suicide attacker against the wedding party, but the child has not been identified.
Gaziantep, a city of 1.5 million people, is about 40 kilometres from the Syrian border. The city is also in Kurdish territory, where Turkish forces are involved in a decades-old battle against the PKK.