Russia is capable of rebuilding its military forces in Syria within "just a few hours" if needed, President Vladimir Putin said Thursday.

"We would not want to do this. Military escalation is not our choice," Putin said at a meeting with Russian servicemen, according to state news agency TASS.

"We mainly hope for common sense on all sides, for both the Syrian authorities and the opposition to be committed to the peace process," Putin said.

Putin said Russia's military campaign in Syria, which lasted six months, cost 33 billion roubles (480 million dollars).

Russian airstrikes targeting rebels in Syria provided much-needed support to that country's president, Bashar al-Assad, a longtime ally whose regime made significant territorial gains as a result.

The Russian leader said the campaign's primary objective was to fight terrorism and prevent it from spilling over to Russia.

Meanwhile, a senior UN official in Geneva called for Russia to continue using its clout with the Syrian government to ensure humanitarian aid supplies.

Russia can push the Syrian government to allow aid supplies to civilians in areas surrounded by state troops, said Jan Egeland, who leads a United Nations task force for providing aid to Syrians.

"I hope Russia will be as instrumental in helping our humanitarian access as before," the Norwegian official, who also advises the UN's special envoy to Syria, told reporters.

Although UN aid agencies have been able to reach several areas with 39 convoys in the past weeks, more than 300,000 people remain cut off from aid in six areas surrounded by the government side, according to new UN data.

"It is in violation of international law to prevent us from going," Egeland said.

On Monday, Putin ordered the Russian military to withdraw the majority of its forces from Syria, saying their task there was "completely fulfilled."

Russia has said it will keep at least 800 servicemen, as well as some warplanes and powerful S-400 missile systems, in Syria to protect its airbase and naval facility there.

The head of Russia's air force, General Viktor Bondarev, said in comments carried by TASS on Thursday that the military should complete the ordered withdrawal within three days.

More than 200 members of Russia's armed forces have been honoured for their actions in Syria, and at least another 300 are expected to receive such decorations, Bondarev said.

Numerous pilots will also be promoted to higher ranks for their service in Syria, he added.

With Russia's support, al-Assad's military regained significant territory from rebel groups, while the United States - Russia's main geopolitical rival - reversed its calls for al-Assad's immediate removal, permitting him to stay as part of a peace deal.

Syria's civil war, which began with a government crackdown on a protest movement against al-Assad, has lasted more than five years and claimed the lives of at least 250,000 people.

Rebels in Syria have received support from some Middle Eastern and Western powers, including the United States, which accuse al-Assad's government of committing crimes against humanity, including mass killings of civilians.

Last month, Russia and the US brokered a ceasefire deal that appears to be predominantly holding. However, the extremist groups Islamic State and al-Nusra Front, an affiliate of al-Qaeda, were not included in the deal.

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.