policija, belgija, brussels police.jpg
Photograph: EPA/STEPHANIE LECOCQ

Alleged Paris attacker Salah Abdeslam planned to commit a suicide bombing at the French-German football game being played in Stade de France stadium on November 13 before he backed down, France's state prosecutor said Saturday.

Abdeslam told Belgian investigators about the plan after he was apprehended in the Molenbeek neighbourhood of Brussels on Friday, French prosecutor Francois Molins said.

The 26-year-old has already admitted to being in Paris on November 13, 2015, the night of the coordinated bombings and gun attacks on restaurants, bars, the Stade de France stadium and the Bataclan concert hall that left 130 people dead, according to a Belga news agency report citing his lawyer Sven Mary.

Abdeslam, who became one of Europe's most wanted criminals in the wake of the attacks, has been charged with "participating in terrorist murder" and taking part in the activities of a terrorist organization, according to a statement from the Belgian Federal Public Prosecutor's Office.

A total of five people were taken into custody in Friday's raids, including members of the family that was hosting Abdeslam in Molenbeek, where the Frenchman grew up and lived before the November attacks.

Belgian prosecutors said authorities have detained another man known by two aliases who faces the same charges as Abdeslam.

A third man stands accused of hiding Abdeslam and his alleged accomplice and is thought to have links to a terrorist organization.

Two other suspects were released, despite charges filed against one of them for hiding the two men.

Abdeslam's leg was slightly injured in the raid. He was taken to a hospital in Brussels and was discharged on Saturday.

The French Justice Ministry said Saturday a new European arrest warrant had been issued against Abdeslam, with prosecutor Molins saying it would accelerate his transfer.

The European warrant is less complicated and faster than extradition through Belgium, with the final decision over Abdeslam's transfer to France expected in two to three months, Molins added.

Abdeslam is believed to have joined his brother Brahim in targeting restaurants and bars during the Paris attacks, but his exact role in the violence has never been publicly disclosed. It is believed that at the very least he offered logistical support to the attackers.

A manhunt for Abdeslam had been under way since mid-November, after he was brought back from Paris to Belgium by two acquaintances following the attacks.

There had been media reports that he may have escaped to Syria - a stronghold of the Islamic State extremist group, which claimed responsibility for the Paris attacks.

Latest news

Trump administration reverses transgender bathroom protections

The Trump administration on Wednesday withdrew Obama-era guidance about the use of school and university bathrooms by transgender students, local media reported.

Several Dakota Access Pipeline protesters arrested as deadline passes

Several people at a camp protesting against a controversial oil pipeline in the US state of North Dakota were arrested Wednesday after a deadline to vacate the land passed, local media reported.

Germany deports 18 rejected asylum seekers to Afghanistan

A Kabul-bound plane with 18 Afghan migrants on board took off from Munich Airport late Wednesday, its passengers becoming the third group of rejected asylum seekers to be deported by German authorities back to Afghanistan.

New Romanian justice minister named after anti-corruption protests

Romanian Prime Minister Sorin Grindeanu has named a former judge to be the country's next justice minister, after the previous office holder resigned under pressure from mass anti-corruption protests.

Le Pen's chief of staff indicted in European Parliament jobs probe

The chief of staff of Marine Le Pen, the far-right candidate for president in upcoming French elections, was indicted Wednesday over allegations of irregular reimbursements from the European Parliament, a judicial source told dpa.

Montenegrin police extradites Miodrag Jovic to Croatia

Montenegrin police reported on Wednesday that they extradited to Croatia Miodrag Jovic (48) from Glina, after whom Interpol Zagreb issued an arrest warrant.

Croatian minister attends CoMoCoSEE conference in Albania

Culture Minister Nina Obuljen Korzinek participated in a third conference of the Council of Ministers of Culture of South-Eastern Europe (CoMoCoSEE) that took place in Tirana on February 21-22.

New Somali president asks al-Shabaab to surrender to 'help' country

Somalia's newly elected President Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo asked Islamist terrorist group al-Shabaab to surrender in order "to help rebuild" the conflict-ridden East African nation.

Serbia's EU negotiator says minority rights neglected

The head of the Serbia's European Union accession negotiation team, Tanja Miscevic, said in Novi Sad on Wednesday that minority rights had been neglected for many years and added that positive results in that regard cannot be achieved over night, the Beta news agency has reported. 

Scientists: Nearby star's 7 rocky planets are "best bet" for life

New analysis of telescope data shows a dwarf star just 40 light years from Earth has at least seven apparently rocky planets with potential to harbour water, an international team of scientists announced Wednesday.

Croatian PM receives EIB Vice-President

Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic met on Wednesday with European Investment Bank (EIB) Vice-President Dario Scannapieco for talks on the bank's contribution to a new investment cycle in Croatia and its support to the Croatian government to implement key projects, a press release from the government's office said.

Bomb explodes outside police officer's home in Northern Ireland

A bomb exploded outside a police officer's home in Northern Ireland on Wednesday but there were no immediate reports of casualties.