NORWAY BREIVIK APPEAL TRIAL.jpg
Anders Behring Breivik (C) with his lawyers Mona Danielsen (L) and Oystein Storrvik (R) at the appeal case in Borgarting Court of Appeal at Telemark prison in Skien, Norway, 10 January 2017.
Photograph: EPA/LISE AASERUD NORWAY OUT

Norwegian mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik tried to use dating adverts to contact ideological supporters and circumvent censorship rules, a state attorney said Wednesday.

Breivik, who killed 77 people in a bombing and shooting attack in 2011, has sued the Norwegian state and prison authorities over restrictions he faces as part of his 21-year prison sentence for the attacks.

These include constant isolation from other inmates and the constant presence of a barrier when he meets lawyers.

State attorney Fredrik Sejerstad told a Norwegian appeals court hearing that the restrictions were regularly reviewed but necessary, as Breivik remained a threat.

He told the court that Breivik had attempted to post dating ads as a means of circumventing censorship rules in line with a European Court of Human Rights ruling.

Breivik received many letters, also from women, and had put up photos they enclosed in the three cells he has access to at the Skien high security prison. Sejerstad added that Breivik had received over 130 letters from a woman in neighbouring Sweden.

Breivik's attorney Oystein Storrvik challenged the state's view that the 37-year-old was coping well in isolation. Storrvik noted that everyone Breivik interacted with had official roles: prison wardens, health staff, lawyers and a state-funded visitor.

"He has not a single person he can confide in," Storrvik said. He argued that Breivik should have contact with other inmates, who share common experiences in prison.

Comparing this case to others of preventive detention, it was "very unlikely" Breivik would ever be released, Storrvik said.

Breivik made a Nazi-style salute before taking his seat at the hearing on Tuesday, but refrained from doing so on Wednesday. He is due to testify Thursday.

Due to security concerns, the appellate court hearing is being held in the sports hall of the Skien high security prison, where Breivik is incarcerated.

A district court ruled in April that some of Breivik's living conditions are "inhumane and degrading," violating the European Convention of Human Rights. That court, however, rejected Breivik's complaints that his correspondence is censored.

Both the state and Breivik appealed the 2016 ruling.

Breivik was sentenced in August 2012 for the July 22, 2011, attacks in Oslo and at a political youth camp organized by the Labour Party on the island of Utoya near the capital.

Latest news

Trump administration opens door for mass deportations

The US Department of Homeland Security laid the groundwork Tuesday for mass deportations of immigrants living illegally in the United States under an executive order by President Donald Trump last month.

Brexit bill: House of Lords says public can change mind on leaving EU

The British public should be able to change their minds on Brexit - just as Prime Minister Theresa May did, the upper chamber of parliament heard Tuesday during a marathon debate on legislation to kick off EU negotiations.

Italian lawmakers, rights activists clash over gay sex club scandal

Gay rights activists and conservative politicians clashed Tuesday after the chief of Italy's anti-discrimination office quit over allegations that money had been authorized for gay sex clubs.

EU countries agree new rules to avoid tax evasion

European Union finance ministers in Brussels on Tuesday reached a political agreement on new rules to ensure that multinational corporations do not declare profits in the countries where they pay the least tax but in the countries where they generate it.

Trump condemns "horrible, painful" anti-Jewish incidents

US President Donald Trump condemned a recent spate of threats against Jewish community targets across the United States, during a visit Tuesday to the newly opened National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington.

FinMin expects Croatia to exit Excessive Deficit Procedure this spring

Finance Minister Zdravko Maric said on Tuesday Croatia could exit the Excessive Deficit Procedure this spring and that it was showing progress in correcting macroeconomic imbalances.

Austria seeks to create jobs, but new EU immigrants need not apply

Austria plans to create 160,000 jobs in the next three years by subsidizing companies, but the project has raised concerns because it effectively excludes people who recently immigrated from other EU countries.

Juncker: Not good for W. Balkans that some in Washington want to water down EU

European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said on Tuesday it was not good for Western Balkan countries that some people in the new US administration gave the impression of being against the European Union because those countries needed the prospects of EU membership.

Citizens invited to help create Croatian version of Monopoly

A project to create a Croatian edition of Monopoly, in which citizens can participate by submitting proposals and which could become a souvenir for tourists, was presented at a press conference on Tuesday.

German state approves full-face veil ban

Legislation that bans face veils in select public spaces and situations was agreed by the government of the southeastern German state of Bavaria on Tuesday.

Indian restaurant Gaggan in Bangkok named Asia's best for third year

Bangkok's Indian eatery Gaggan on Tuesday was named the best restaurant in Asia for the third consecutive year by Asia's 50 Best Restaurants.

HGK: 16 Croatian companies to exhibit at IDEX defence exhibition

Sixteen Croatian companies will exhibit their products at the 13th IDEX 2017 defence exhibition in Abu Dhabi, to be held on February 19-23.

Trump and the nuclear codes: Carnival again takes aim at politicians

US President Donald Trump, Brexit, Turkish leader Recep Tayyip Erdogan, and Germany's right-wing AfD party: Floats unveiled Tuesday for this year's Carnival parades in Cologne and Mainz once again turn to political satire to entertain revellers.

Barcelona police open fire on stolen lorry laden with gas canisters

Security forces in Barcelona opened fire on a stolen lorry laden with gas canisters to bring a rampage through the city to an end, police in the Spanish city said on Tuesday.

Stuttgart to issue bans on high-polluting diesel vehicles from 2018

Most diesel vehicles will be banned from roads in the southern German city of Stuttgart during times of heavy pollution, a bid to clean up the city's air, the German state of Baden-Wuerttemberg decided Tuesday.