A kingpin of the migrant trafficking business who made millions smuggling people from Africa to Europe has been extradited from Sudan and will face trial in Italy, Italian and British authorities said Wednesday.

Mered Yehdego Medhane, a 35-year-old from Eritrea, had been on the run since April 2015, when Palermo prosecutors issued arrest warrants for him and 23 other suspected human smugglers, Italian police said in a statement.

Britain's National Crime Agency (NCA), which helped apprehend the fugitive, described Mered in a separate note as "one of the world’s most wanted people smugglers," and connected him to a major shipwreck off the Italian island of Lampedusa.

The accident on October 3, 2013, killed 366 and was at the time the deadliest in recent Mediterranean history. It prompted Italian investigations into who had organized the boat trip, which eventually led to Mered.

"Italian prosecutors say [the suspect] is responsible for the Lampedusa tragedy and is the mastermind behind a major criminal organisation responsible for smuggling thousands of migrants from the Middle East and Africa into Europe," the NCA said.

He should face trial for leading an international criminal group and abetting illegal migration, with aggravating circumstances linked to the number of smuggled people, inhuman treatment and risk of the life of migrants, Italian and British authorities said.

Mered was caught in Kharthoum on May 24 and was transferred to Rome, landing in Ciampino late Tuesday. The extradition was remarkable since Sudan has no extradition treaties with Italy or the European Union, Palermo Chief Prosecutor Francesco Lo Voi said at a press conference.

The alleged trafficker had built up a network that could take sub-Saharan migrants to Libya, across the central Mediterranean to Italy, and onwards to the Netherlands and Scandinavian countries, Italian authorities said.

He had sufficient contacts to remove blockages along the way. For example, if migrants were arbitrarily jailed in Libya - a recurring event in the war-torn country - he could bribe prison guards to release them, investigations revealed.

In intercepted telephone conversations, accomplices would refer to Mered as the "General," while he liked to compare himself to former Libyan strongman Moamer Gaddafi and would boast that he was better than everybody at packing migrants into boats, prosecutors said.

"We have brought to justice a character with no scruples and without any respect for human life. A man with a key role in the command centre of a criminal network that turns over millions of euros," police executive Renato Cortese said at the Palermo press conference.

According to Gery Ferrara, another Palermo prosecutor, Mered shipped more than 10,000 migrants from Libya to Italy between June and August 2014. Each boat trip, which can contain hundreds of migrants, earned him "from 700,000 dollars to 1 million dollars."

He reinvested some of his ill-gotten fortune in Dubai, Italian authorities said, and was looking into retiring in Sweden and exploring ways to obtain legal residency papers and find a safe haven for his money.

Italian Interior Minister Angelino Alfano hailed Mered's arrest as an extraordinary result. "We need to stop these merchants of death at all costs, and to meet this objective we also need to involve the European Union," he said.

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.