A Turkish armed splinter group on Friday claimed responsibility for the car bombing this week in Ankara, which targeted a military convoy in the heart of the capital and killed 28 people.

The claim counters the Turkish government's allegations that Syrian Kurdish allies of the United States were behind the attack.

The Kurdistan Freedom Falcons (TAK) made the claim on the group's website, saying the bombing was retaliation for the situation in Cizre, south-eastern Turkey, where intense fighting is ongoing, leaving massive destruction in its wake.

The group warned tourists to avoid Turkey, saying: "We are not responsible for who will die in the attacks" in tourist areas.

Clashes between Turkish government forces and Kurdish militants have seen dozens killed and left tens of thousands displaced in Cizre, which remains under a strict round-the-clock military curfew.

The statement said the group would "take revenge for all the suffering of the Kurdish people" and said the attack in Ankara was against the "fascist" Turkish state.

The little-known TAK last claimed a December mortar attack on an airport in Istanbul in which one woman from the cleaning staff was killed.

The group is seen as a splinter that broke away from the banned Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) more than a decade ago, though some security experts claim there are still links.

Turkey has been claiming the car bomb attack, which hit a convoy of buses near major military and government buildings, was carried out by a Kurd from northern Syria who was born in 1992.

However, the TAK statement said the bomber, who died in the attack, was born in 1989 in Van in eastern Turkey.

Earlier, Syrian Kurds from the People's Protection Units (YPG), which is backed by the United States in its war against Islamic State, denied any involvement in the Ankara bombing, saying the group never hit a neighbouring state.

Turkey has insisted the YPG was behind the attack in collusion with the Syrian government. Turkey has so far arrested 20 people in connection with the bombing.

"The first thing they did after the attack was to blame us. They are inventing a pretext as they are seeking to enter Rojava," Redur Xelil, a spokesman for the YPG, told the pro-Kurdish Firat news agency. Rojava is what the Kurds call northern Syria.

Turkey has been heavily shelling YPG positions since the attack. The Kurds have claimed at least two civilians were killed in the strikes, which intensified Friday morning.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a monitoring group, described the Turkish shelling as "the heaviest ever, lasting for seven hours" in areas of Aleppo province.

In New York, the UN Security Council held consultations Friday, with Russia introducing a draft resolution calling for respect for Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity in response to Turkey's alleged plans to send ground troops into Syria.

The draft was quickly dismissed by the United States and France, both veto-wielding members of the Security Council.

Ankara has grown increasingly worried about the YPG, noting that the group has links to the PKK. A ceasefire between Turkey and the PKK broke down in July after more than two years, setting off a cycle of violence that has claimed hundreds of lives.

Turkey is a staunch backer of Syrian rebels, who are currently collapsing in Aleppo in the face of intense Russian airstrikes. In the north of the province, near the key town of Azaz close to the Turkish border, the Kurds have seized fresh territory.

US President Barack Obama and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan telephoned late Friday.

Obama reiterated the US position that YPG forces should not seek to exploit circumstances in northern Syria to seize additional territory, and he "urged Turkey to show reciprocal restraint by ceasing artillery strikes in the area," the White House said in a statement.

The two leaders "pledged to deepen cooperation in the fight against all forms of terrorism, including the PKK" and Islamic State forces.

Earlier, the US State Department repeated its position that the YPG, which Washington has backed in Syria, is not the same as the PKK.

Turkey last year opened a military base to the US to carry out airstrikes against Islamic State, including strikes in Syria that help the YPG advance.

The YPG is receiving the backing of Russian airstrikes in western Syria and US airstrikes in the east and says it is charting out an independent course in the country.

The PKK and Turkey have been fighting an armed conflict since 1984, which has left more than 40,000 people dead. Kurds in Turkey often complain of systematic discrimination by the government and human rights abuses by the military during operations.

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.