Italy's Renzi says at least 120 died in earthquake

At least 120 people have died in the severe earthquake in central Italy, Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi said Wednesday evening on a visit to the affected region.

"And this toll is not final," he said, adding: "It is a pain without limits."

A total of 368 injured and sick people had been rescued from the two worst-hit villages, Amatrice and Accumoli, after the earthquake of a magnitude of at least 6 struck at 0136 GMT.

Italy was now standing together in solidarity to overcome the great challenges it faces after the quake, Renzi said. Dozens of people are still missing with hopes of finding them alive fading.

In depth coverage

Number of dead in Italian earthquake reaches 159

Rescue workers raced against time to find survivors from an earthquake that struck central Italy Wednesday, as the death toll reached at least 159.

Read more
Last update: Thu, 25/08/2016 - 01:11
Last update: Wed, 24/08/2016 - 19:48
Author: 

More from Europe

French government seeks to extend state of emergency to July 2017

The French government said Saturday it would ask parliament to approve an extension to the country's state of...

No agreement reached between Russia, Ukraine on gas deliveries

Russian and Ukrainian officials failed to reach an agreement on gas deliveries this winter in a first round of EU-...

Britain jails man for posting Islamic State video on Facebook

A British court sentenced a 31-year-old man to two years in prison on Friday after he was convicted of encouraging...

Latvian police fine couple after monumental public sex session

A pair of tourists were fined 250 euros (263 dollars) on Friday after being caught having sex on the Freedom...

Terror suspect arrested in Rotterdam in possession of Kalashnikov

A special Dutch police unit on Friday arrested a terror suspect in Rotterdam.