ITALY EARTHQUAKE MARCHE REGION AFTERMATH.jpg
A view of the earthquake-stricken town of Arquata del Tronto, Marche region, five days after a devastating eathquake hit central Italy, in Arquata del Tronto, 29 August 2016.
Photograph: EPA/CRISTIANO CHIODI

The Italian government was forced into an embarrassing U-turn Monday, after the remote mountain community that suffered the heaviest death toll from last week's earthquake protested proposals to hold a funeral service somewhere else.

Rather than in the stricken town of Amatrice, authorities had suggested that a Mass could take place Tuesday in the provincial capital of Rieti, where dozens of bodies had already been taken. The city is at least 1 hour's drive away.

"We won't go to Rieti, give us back our dead," the ANSA news agency quoted unnamed survivors as telling representatives of Italy's civil protection agency, the Protezione Civile, at a campsite in Amatrice.

The change of plan was suggested because quake damage has forced the closure of some roads to Amatrice, making access more difficult. There was also the logistical challenge of finding a place that could host many coffins and a large crowd in a town that was razed to the ground.

But Prime Minister Matteo Renzi, who was expected to attend along with President Sergio Mattarella, bowed to the demands.

"The funeral of the earthquake victims will take place in Amatrice as the mayor and the local community are demanding. And as it is right!" he wrote on Twitter.

The recovery of two more bodies from the rubble in Amatrice raised the official death toll to 292, Immacolata Postiglione, head of the emergency department at the Protezione Civile, said. She added that other victims were still trapped under collapsed buildings.

A state funeral was held Saturday for some of the victims from Arquata del Tronto, one of three municipalities affected by the disaster. Tuesday's service was due to honour some of the 231 who died in Amatrice and of the 11 dead from Accumoli.

Meanwhile, Renzi called in the help of world-renowned architect Renzo Piano to advise on the drafting of a large-scale plan to rebuild destroyed towns and improve earthquake resilience across Italy, one of the world's most seismically active countries.

"I told [Renzi]: 'We need a construction site that will last two generations,'" Piano said in a Monday interview with La Repubblica newspaper, adding that the long-term initiative would require "an international scope, with contributions from all over the world."

"We are talking about a 50-year, two-generation project," he said, adding that in the short term quake survivors should be accommodated in provisional "light buildings" that can later be dismantled easily and recycled.

The 78-year-old's works include the Pompidou arts centre in Paris and the Shard skyscraper in London. Previously, he contributed to post-earthquake reconstruction in L'Aquila, an Italian town destroyed by a quake in 2009, where he oversaw the construction of a new music hall.

In an online newsletter, Renzi said he would discuss "in the coming days" a Casa Italia (Home Italy) reconstruction and prevention plan with local authorities, trade unions, the construction lobby and environmentalists.

Italy is expected to ask European Union permission to derogate from deficit reduction targets to invest in earthquake safety. Upgrading existing buildings in the areas most at risk would cost almost 36 billion euros (40 billion dollars), according to the National Council of Engineers.

With many Italians wary of corruption scandals that plagued previous post-quake public works, the premier said towns will have to be rebuilt wisely, speedily and "in the most transparent way," under strict monitoring from Italy's Anti-Corruption Agency.

Survivors are also concerned about looting in evacuated homes. Interior Minister Angelino Alfano said Carabinieri police arrested a a couple caught stealing in Amatrice, and retrieved their booty, including clothes and a toy gun.

The destruction was caused by a magnitude-6 quake that early Wednesday struck an area about 150 kilometres north-east of Rome. It was followed by nearly 2,300 aftershocks, the National Institute of Geophysics and Vulcanology said.

Related stories

Latest news

Iraq claims advance in retaking Mosul airport from Islamic State

Iraqi forces wrested back half of Mosul's airport from Islamic State Thursday, shortly after entering the facility during their ongoing campaign to drive the extremist militia from its last key stronghold in the country.

Rights group: Video shows Cambodian police beating election candidate

A video posted on YouTube shows eight Cambodian paramilitary police beating a man identified as an opposition candidate at a Phnom Penh shopping mall, a rights group said Thursday. 

Malaysia asks Interpol to issue alert for suspects in N Korean death

Malaysia on Thursday requested that Interpol issue an alert for four North Koreans suspected of involvement in last week's killing of Kim Jong Nam, the estranged half-brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

British suspect arrested in Deutsche Telekom hacking

A 29-year-old British citizen suspected of involvement in a cyberattack that left nearly 1 million Deutsche Telekom customers without services last year has been arrested, German federal police said on Thursday.

Eight killed as bomb targets restaurant in Pakistan’s Lahore

A bomb ripped through a high-end restaurant in the Pakistani city of Lahore on Thursday, killing eight people, officials said, marking another attack amid a surge in violence by Islamist militants that has ended months of fragile calm.

Philippine court orders arrest of top Duterte critic

Senator Leila De Lima, one of the most outspoken critics of Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, was on Thursday ordered arrested on illegal drug charges by a Philippine court.

Hrvatski Telekom reports 2016 net profit of HRK 934 mn

Hrvatski Telekom (HT) generated a net profit of HRK 934 million in 2016, which is 1% more than in 2015, the telecommunications company said on Thursday in a report on its financial results in 2016.

FDI in Croatia totals EUR 1.2 bn in Jan-Sept 2016

Foreign direct investment (FDI) in Croatia totalled EUR 1.227 billion in the first nine months of 2016, which is 552 million or 82% more than in the same period in 2015, analysts at Raiffeisenbank Austria (RBA) said in a report on Thursday, citing data provided by the Croatian National Bank.

Vietnam asks YouTube to block politically sensitive videos

Vietnamese authorities have demanded that YouTube block 17 videos that thez say violate the country's laws restricting speech, state media reported Thursday.

Croatian-Czech Society marks 25th anniversary

The Croatian-Czech Society (HCD) celebrated a quarter century since its foundation in Zagreb on Wednesday evening and the occasion was marked by the launch of a book, "The Croatian-Czech Society: The First 25 Years".

Trump administration reverses transgender bathroom protections

The Trump administration on Wednesday withdrew Obama-era guidance about the use of school and university bathrooms by transgender students, local media reported.

Several Dakota Access Pipeline protesters arrested as deadline passes

Several people at a camp protesting against a controversial oil pipeline in the US state of North Dakota were arrested Wednesday after a deadline to vacate the land passed, local media reported.