Italy pulls 217 bodies from recovered wreck of migrant boat

Some 217 bodies have been taken from the wreck of a migrant boat that was recovered from the bottom of the Mediterranean 10 days ago, the Italian Navy said Thursday.

The accident of April 18, 2015 was at the time considered the worst in recent Mediterranean history. It was survived by only 28 people, who told authorities that at least another 700 were dead or missing.

The navy, or Marina Militare, said a 150-strong team was working around the clock on the wreck, which has been towed to the Sicilian NATO naval base of Melilli.

It said that forensic work had been carried out on 52 victims, and that efforts to find and identify more bodies from the wreck were still ongoing.

Last week, Navy Rear Admiral Pietro Covino said the navy expected to find 250-300 corpses.

Survivors told authorities last year that at least 700 other migrants were missing, but since then, only 169 bodies have been found, excluding those extracted from the ship's ruins.

Last update: Thu, 07/07/2016 - 13:37
Author: 

More from Europe

More explosives found in Germany following bomb-making arrest

Following the arrest of a suspected bomb maker in Germany's Lower Rhine region, police said they found explosives in...

EU starts "new era" of NATO cooperation amid uncertainty over Trump

NATO foreign ministers signed a deal on closer collaboration with the European Union on Tuesday, with the bloc's top...

Merkel re-elected party leader after toughening tone on refugees

Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative Christian Democrats (CDU) have edged to the right with plans for a tougher...

Greek court extradites some Turkish officers, others to stay

A court in Athens has agreed to a request from Turkey to extradite three military officers accused of plotting to...

Despite defeat, Austrian far-right aims for big vote take in 2017

This weekend's loss in the Austrian presidential election will not deter Austria's far-right Freedom Party (FPOe)...