italy police.jpg
Photograph: Photo by Jorge Brazil, used under CC BY

Italian authorities on Monday arrested two men blamed for one the three deadly migrant shipwrecks of last week, and reported that according to survivors one of those accidents left 300 missing at sea.

There were shipwrecks on the Libya-Italy sea route on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. According to UN Refugee Agency UNHCR, they have caused at least 700 deaths; the International Organization for Migration gave a worse estimate, speaking of 1,100 missing.

Moroccan Azridah Abdelfatah, 34, and Syrian Torki Omar, 30, skippered Friday's sunken boat, and were charged with causing a shipwreck, abetting illegal immigration, causing death or injury as a result of other crimes, and belonging to a criminal group.

They were apprehended in the southern port city of Reggio Calabria where they had arrived Sunday along with survivors and victims of a series of Mediterranean sea crossings from recent days, the ANSA news agency reported.

The Italian Navy recovered 45 bodies and rescued 135 migrants from Friday's shipwreck. Reggio Calabria Prosecutor Gaetano Paci said an accomplice of the two arrested men was presumed to be among the dead or the missing.

Separately, the Italian Coastguard gave additional details about Thursday's accident, through an official who could not be quoted by name.

He said survivors interviewed in several ports said they were making their way to Italy on two boats, one towing the other, each with about 450 people on board, when the tow cable for the second vessel was cut off.

As the cable snapped loose, it hit a female passenger on the second boat, killing her. The vessel then started to sink, and only 150 people aboard were rescued. The ones travelling in the first boat were all saved.

Rescue units also recovered some bodies, but the coastguard official could not give an exact number. Last week Eunavfor Med Sophia, the European Union naval mission which first rushed to the scene, spoke of at least 20 dead, but that figure was never confirmed.

The Italian Coastguard also said there had been no rescue operations on Sunday and Monday, as migrant departures from Libya had paused after recent tragic events.

UNHCR spokeswoman Carlotta Sami wrote on Twitter that the migrant death toll since Mediterranean search and rescue operations started in late 2013, in the wake of a major shipwreck near Italy's Lampedusa island, was "at least 9,000," or "300 every month."

According to Sunday data from the UNHCR, this year there have been 46,714 sea migrant arrivals in Italy, compared to 47,463 in January-May 2015, showing that despite the surge of the past few days, year-on-year flows are stable.

However, an increase is expected in the coming weeks, as warmer weather encourages departures from Libya, a major migrant smuggling hub that is still in chaos despite UN-led efforts to establish a national unity government.

Italy wants the EU to negotiate migration-stemming agreements with Libya and other African countries, and Interior Minister Angelino Alfano told Monday's Corriere della Sera daily that Rome would cut deals on its own if Brussels did not act.

Prime Minister Matteo Renzi said he was optimistic about progress, a day after the European Commission said it was drafting a paper to inform discussions on the migration crisis at an EU summit on June 28-29.

"At last something is moving and the European Union seems determined to really bank on the Migration Compact proposed by Italy," Renzi said in an online newsletter, referring to Rome's draft plan for migration aid to Africa.

Latest news

Canada soon to begin resettling Iraqi refugees, most of them Yezidis

Canada will resettle 1,200 survivors of the Islamic State campaign to target religious minorities in northern Iraq, Canadian officials announced Tuesday. 

Breitbart editor resigns after release of paedophilia comments

Milo Yiannopoulos, a controversial editor at the far-right Breitbart news website, resigned Tuesday after the emergence of recordings in which he appears to defend sexual relationships between young boys and older men.

Trump administration opens door for mass deportations

The US Department of Homeland Security laid the groundwork Tuesday for mass deportations of immigrants living illegally in the United States under an executive order by President Donald Trump last month.

Brexit bill: House of Lords says public can change mind on leaving EU

The British public should be able to change their minds on Brexit - just as Prime Minister Theresa May did, the upper chamber of parliament heard Tuesday during a marathon debate on legislation to kick off EU negotiations.

Italian lawmakers, rights activists clash over gay sex club scandal

Gay rights activists and conservative politicians clashed Tuesday after the chief of Italy's anti-discrimination office quit over allegations that money had been authorized for gay sex clubs.

EU countries agree new rules to avoid tax evasion

European Union finance ministers in Brussels on Tuesday reached a political agreement on new rules to ensure that multinational corporations do not declare profits in the countries where they pay the least tax but in the countries where they generate it.

Trump condemns "horrible, painful" anti-Jewish incidents

US President Donald Trump condemned a recent spate of threats against Jewish community targets across the United States, during a visit Tuesday to the newly opened National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington.

FinMin expects Croatia to exit Excessive Deficit Procedure this spring

Finance Minister Zdravko Maric said on Tuesday Croatia could exit the Excessive Deficit Procedure this spring and that it was showing progress in correcting macroeconomic imbalances.

Austria seeks to create jobs, but new EU immigrants need not apply

Austria plans to create 160,000 jobs in the next three years by subsidizing companies, but the project has raised concerns because it effectively excludes people who recently immigrated from other EU countries.

Juncker: Not good for W. Balkans that some in Washington want to water down EU

European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said on Tuesday it was not good for Western Balkan countries that some people in the new US administration gave the impression of being against the European Union because those countries needed the prospects of EU membership.

Citizens invited to help create Croatian version of Monopoly

A project to create a Croatian edition of Monopoly, in which citizens can participate by submitting proposals and which could become a souvenir for tourists, was presented at a press conference on Tuesday.

German state approves full-face veil ban

Legislation that bans face veils in select public spaces and situations was agreed by the government of the southeastern German state of Bavaria on Tuesday.

Indian restaurant Gaggan in Bangkok named Asia's best for third year

Bangkok's Indian eatery Gaggan on Tuesday was named the best restaurant in Asia for the third consecutive year by Asia's 50 Best Restaurants.

HGK: 16 Croatian companies to exhibit at IDEX defence exhibition

Sixteen Croatian companies will exhibit their products at the 13th IDEX 2017 defence exhibition in Abu Dhabi, to be held on February 19-23.

Trump and the nuclear codes: Carnival again takes aim at politicians

US President Donald Trump, Brexit, Turkish leader Recep Tayyip Erdogan, and Germany's right-wing AfD party: Floats unveiled Tuesday for this year's Carnival parades in Cologne and Mainz once again turn to political satire to entertain revellers.