Some 1,800 people were rescued and three bodies were recovered in Wednesday's rescues in the central Mediterranean, the Italian coastguard said.
A Guardia Costiera spokesman told dpa that there were 12 interventions involving Italy's coastguard and navy, as well as Malta-based non-governmental organization MOAS.
The bodies were found on a dinghy, the official said.
The latest rescue tally added to the 3,000 rescued Tuesday and the nearly 7,000 saved on Monday, and brought the total since the start of the week to about 12,000, an unusually high number.
Since border controls were tightened earlier this year along the so-called Balkan route, connecting Turkey to Austria, Italy has replaced Greece as the main entry point for Europe-bound migrants from Africa, the Middle East and beyond.