FRANCE MIGRATION CALAIS WALL.jpg
Construction work on a British financed wall near the so-called Jungle migrant camp in Calais, northern France 21 September 2016.
Photograph: EPA/THIBAULT VANDERMERSCH

Makeshift migrant camps that are housing thousands of people near the northern French port city of Calais will be "definitively" dismantled, President Francois Hollande vowed Monday during a visit to the region.

"This situation is unacceptable," Hollande said during an address to local leaders, including representatives from the police, business and aid organizations.

He called the camps a "humanitarian emergency" while praising the efforts of security forces charged with monitoring routes to Britain and maintaining public order.

Camps have sprung up around the area near Calais for years due to its proximity to the English Channel. Many migrants, often from countries in eastern Africa or the Middle East, try to cross over into Britain via the train tunnel or sequestered in the back of lorries.

But France and Britain, who jointly manage a "shared border" in Calais, have increased security measures over the past year, making crossings more difficult and dangerous.

Hollande said there were 7,000 migrants currently in the informal encampments often called the "Jungle," while aid organizations put the figure at 10,000.

Earlier this year, authorities built a 1,500-capacity accommodation centre near the makeshift camps and encouraged people to apply for asylum in France.

Hollande sharpened this strategy during his address Monday, pledging assistance to those wishing to apply for asylum and less leniency for so-called "irregular migrants," referring to those who do not qualify for asylum or other government-backed immigration schemes.

He outlined a system of accommodation centres hosting 40-50 people, spread throughout France, to welcome asylum seekers for 3-4 months and help with application procedures.

"These structures are managed by associations, financed by the state, and installed in existing sites," Hollande said. "They are not, as some have said, mini-encampments."

He added that 5,800 people have already been relocated in over the year in more than 160 centres around France. News agency AFP reported that Hollande planned to pursue full dismantling of the makeshift camps nears Calais before the end of the year.

Hollande's visit did not include a stopover in the camps themselves.

The French president's visit comes five days after his conservative predecessor - and possible future election opponent - Nicolas Sarkozy, visited Calais and also pledged to close the camp.

Sarkozy, who is favoured to become the conservative candidate for the presidential elections in 2017, has come down hard against the current administration's migration policies.

He promised to close the "Jungle" before the end of summer 2017.

Far right prospective candidate Marine Le Pen has also expressed criticism about the government's relocation scheme.

Latest news

Brexit fears plague locals and expats alike in southern Spain

As Britain's departure from the EU approaches, the anxiety is most palpable on Spain's Costa del Sol, where so many Britons live. What will happen to the economy if the expats one day have to leave?

Reports: 12 injured as car runs into crowd at New Orleans parade

Twelve people were injured Saturday in the US city of New Orleans when a car struck a crowd watching a parade, local media reported.

"Moonlight" big winner at independent film awards

The coming-of-age drama "Moonlight" won six prizes including best feature at the 32nd Film Independent Spirit Awards Saturday, claiming the Hollywood spotlight on the eve of the Oscars.

Trump: I won't attend White House Correspondents' Association Dinner

US President Donald Trump said Saturday that he does not plan to attend the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner this year.

US Democratic Party chooses Tom Perez to be next party chief

The US Democratic Party elected former labour secretary Tom Perez as its next party chief at a meeting in Atlanta on Saturday.

73-year-old man dies after car ramming in Germany

A 73-year-old male pedestrian died from his injuries after being run over when a car rammed into people in the south-western town of Heidelberg, police said Saturday.

Syrian government vows retribution for Homs attacks that killed 42

The Syrian government vowed retribution for synchronized attacks on Saturday in Homs City that left 42 security personnel dead and reportedly involved up to six suicide bombers.

Between 250,000 and 300,000 Croatians suffer from rare diseases

Rare Disease Day, observed on February 28, was marked in Zagreb's Cvjetni Trg Square on Saturday.

German police shoot man who rammed car into pedestrians in Heidelberg

Police in Germany shot a man who rammed a car into pedestrians in the south-western town of Heidelberg on Saturday.

Egypt's al-Sissi orders cabinet to help Christians fleeing Sinai

Egypt's president Abdel Fattah al-Sissi ordered the government on Saturday to take all necessary measures to help Christians who escaped northern Sinai after the Islamic State militia killed at least six of them over the past month.

SDP MP calls on citizens to raise their voice against restriction of women's rights

Josko Klisovic, a Social Democrat member of the Croatian parliament, on Saturday called on all Croatians to raise their voice against a policy turnaround on women's rights after Croatia took a conservative position in a discussion on human rights in the Council of the European Union.

Egypt court acquits Mubarak's aide of 22 years

An Egyptian court on Saturday acquitted one of ousted president Hosny Mubarak's closest aides, ruling he was not guilty of corruption and illicit profits.