German police arrest Syrian bomb suspect

A Syrian man suspected of planning a bomb attack in Germany has been arrested in the eastern city of Leipzig, police said on Twitter early Monday.

Police launched a manhunt for 22-year-old Jaber al-Bakr on Saturday after discovering hundreds of grams of explosives at his flat in the nearby city of Chemnitz.

"Tired but overjoyed: we captured the terror suspect last night in Leipzig!" police tweeted.

They have refused to comment on reports that al-Bakr, who arrived in the country as a refugee, was in contact with the Islamic State terrorist group or that he was planning an attack on a German airport.

A prosecutors' spokeswoman on Sunday said the "overall picture" of the investigation so far indicated that an "Islamist-motivated attack" had been planned.

Four other men were also arrested over the weekend in connection with the investigation. Two were later released.

Some 890,000 migrants arrived in Germany in 2015, many of whom had fled the ongoing conflict in Syria.

The country has been on high alert since two terrorist attacks occurred over the course of one week in July. Both were claimed by Islamic State militants and carried out by asylum seekers.

At least five Islamist attacks have been thwarted by German police since 2007.

Last update: Mon, 10/10/2016 - 10:43
Author: 

More from Europe

President tells Italy's Renzi to delay quitting until budget approved

Italian President Sergio Mattarella thwarted Prime Minister Matteo Renzi's plan to quickly resign on Monday by...

Careful counting delays Austrian election end result until Tuesday

The announcement of Austria's presidential voting result was pushed back to Tuesday as election commissions applied...

Manuel Valls, France's ambitious former PM with sights set on Elysee

Ambitious is one of the words most frequently deployed to describe Manuel Valls.

France's Manuel Valls to step down as PM to pursue presidency

France's Manual Valls said Monday that he was stepping down as prime minister of the country's Socialist government...

Italy coastguard: more than 1,000 migrants saved, 16 bodies recovered

Some 1,022 people were saved and 16 bodies were recovered in recent migrant rescues on the Mediterranean, the...