German broadcaster Deutsche Welle (DW) said Monday it is suing the Turkish government for the release of an interview it conducted with one of its ministers that was seized earlier this month.
Turkish Youth and Sports Minister Akif Cagatay Kilic spoke to DW's Conflict Zone show in early September about the coup attempt in July as well as questions about media freedom and women's rights in Turkey.
According to the broadcaster, its crew was told after the interview had been concluded that the material could not be broadcast. All recordings were then confiscated by ministry personnel.
DW said Monday that two deadlines for the release of the video material had passed, and that it had now filed a lawsuit with a civil court in Ankara, the Turkish capital.
"This ... has nothing to do with the rule of law or democracy," said DW's chief executive Peter Limbourg. "We demand from the Turkish side the immediate release of our video material."