A friend of the Munich shooter, an Afghan teen, may have known in advance of the attack in which nine people were gunned down, prosecutors said Monday.

The 16-year-old Afghan refugee, who has not been named, met with the shooter at the scene of the attack shortly before he launched his rampage, prosecutors said.

An 18-year-old Iranian-German named in German media as Ali David Sonboly killed nine people at a suburban McDonald's restaurant and a nearby shopping centre, before turning the gun on himself.

Chief Munich prosecutor Thomas Steinkraus-Koch told a press conference that they had become aware of the meeting between the gunman and the Afghan after police recovered a WhatsApp message exchange between the two.

The Afghan had deleted the messages from his mobile phone.

Investigators believe that the 16-year-old, who was arrested on Sunday night, knew that the gunman had a weapon before the two-hour-long shooting spree.

The authorities said that the shooter's friend would face a charge of not reporting a crime after providing a series of contradictory answers to them.

But police released the Afghan youth from custody later Monday after a judge rejected the arrest warrant, a spokesman for the prosecutor's office said. The judge said there were no strong suspicions or grounds to hold him.

The authorities were working on the assumption that because the Afghan teen was present at the scene of the shooting and given his possible knowledge of the weapon used in the attack "that he might have known something about the crime."

Police said the attack was inspired by other mass shootings around the world rather than radical Islamist groups such as Islamic State.

Investigators say that both the gunman and his friend were fixated on violent computer games.

"My impression was that (he carried out the shootings) like he was in a computer game," said Munich criminal police director Hermann Utz on Monday.

He shot his victims in execution-style killings.

The Afghan teen had left the shopping centre by the time the shooting spree had started.

Prosecutors say that the 16-year-old met the Munich gunman, who had been suffering from depression, about one year ago when the two received psychiatric treatment.

It was during their time in treatment that the young Afghan heard about the gunman's fascination with mass shootings, notably the Norwegian far-right terrorist Anders Behring Breivik, who is serving a 21-year jail term for his rampage five years ago, which left 77 dead.

The gunman told him during their treatment that he had a hatred for people, prosecutors said.

Police said the gunman carried out his attack with a Glock 17 caliber 9 millimeter pistol.

He acquired the gun via the darknet, a computer network that is a source of illegal goods and weapons and which requires special software to gain access.

A Glock pistol has also been used by others involved in other mass shootings, including Breivik.

Bavarian police have also launched an investigation into people posting Facebook invitations to a fast-food restaurant in the town of Regensburg, which were similar to the ones posted by the Munich shooter to lure his victims.

Police say they now have a presence in the shopping centre and are in contact with its management.

They have also warned that anyone seeking to copy the Facebook post involved in the Munich attack would be committing an offence.

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.