French interior minister: More than 1,000 detentions during Euro 2016

French police have made more than 1,000 arrests or detentions since the start of the European football championship, French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said in a interview with local media published Monday.

Some 600 people were taken into police custody and there have been 56 convictions, Cazeneuve told La Provence newspaper. Thirty-four orders to leave France's national territory were issued, including for hooligans responsible for violent fighting in Marseille near the start of the tournament, Cazeneuve said.

France has been under high security since the start of the games, and the country extended a state of emergency through the end of the tournament. The state of emergency was put in place in November after a series of terrorist attacks in Paris left 130 people dead.

Some 90,000 security and specialty forces have been deployed to secure the tournament, including 72,000 police and gendarmes and 13,000 private security officers.

Last update: Mon, 04/07/2016 - 12:17
Author: 

More from Europe

May vows to press Trump on "unacceptable" remarks in Friday meeting

British Prime Minister Theresa May on Sunday vowed to confront US President Donald Trump about any "unacceptable"...

Hungarian bus company probed for negligence after Italy crash

Criminal negligence charges are being mulled against the owners of a bus that was in a fatal accident in Italy at...

Number of missing at Italy avalanche-struck hotel rises to 24

The number of people still missing in a central Italian mountain hotel that was buried by a massive avalanche...

Report: British government hid failed test of nuclear-capable missile

The British government covered up a failed test of a nuclear-capable missile last year, weeks before a vote in...

Bus crash survivors tell of 'heroes' who saved their lives

Survivors of a bus crash that claimed 16 lives in northern Italy over the weekend told local media Sunday they were...