No link has yet been established between the man who carried out a truck attack in Nice that killed 84 people and terrorist networks, French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said Monday.
"This was an attack that was claimed by the Islamic State, it was an attack of a terrorist nature," Cazeneuve told RTL radio.
"Now, what needs to be established is what the links were [between] the person who carried out this ... attack and terrorist networks. And these links, for the moment, have not been established by the investigation."
Last week, during France's national Bastille Day celebrations, a man identified by prosecutors as Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel drove a heavy delivery truck down a 2-kilometre stretch along the main promenade of the southern city of Nice.
The 31-year-old French resident, born in Tunisia, was not known to have been radicalized, and prosecutors said they were devoting part of their investigation to determining ties with extremist organizations, saying the attack corresponded exactly to calls broadcast by terrorist groups.
Of the 84 people killed, 10 were children and adolescents. Hundreds more were injured. It was the third large-scale attack France has seen in the last 19 months.