Five Paris schools given all-clear after bomb threat evacuation

Five Parisian schools that were evacuated Tuesday after receiving bomb threats were declared safe by police, the city's school authority said. However, one school was still being searched.

The Academie de Paris said in a statement that the students were safe and the schools had followed their emergency security plans. It added that classes had resumed in at least two of the schools.

Students in the six schools had been evacuated mid-morning while police bomb squads searched the premises. Local newspaper Le Parisien had reported that students waited in courtyards and on the streets.

Paris has been under high alert due to a series of terrorist attacks that began in January 2015. France has been in a state of emergency since the latest attacks in November.

Last update: Tue, 26/01/2016 - 16:31
Author: 

More from Europe

More explosives found in Germany following bomb-making arrest

Following the arrest of a suspected bomb maker in Germany's Lower Rhine region, police said they found explosives in...

EU starts "new era" of NATO cooperation amid uncertainty over Trump

NATO foreign ministers signed a deal on closer collaboration with the European Union on Tuesday, with the bloc's top...

Merkel re-elected party leader after toughening tone on refugees

Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative Christian Democrats (CDU) have edged to the right with plans for a tougher...

Greek court extradites some Turkish officers, others to stay

A court in Athens has agreed to a request from Turkey to extradite three military officers accused of plotting to...

Despite defeat, Austrian far-right aims for big vote take in 2017

This weekend's loss in the Austrian presidential election will not deter Austria's far-right Freedom Party (FPOe)...