Europe was gearing up for New Year's Eve celebrations on Saturday after Australia kicked off the party with a dazzling fireworks display, with police and event organizers across the globe boosting security in response to recent attacks.

A dazzling fireworks show in Sydney at midnight (1300 GMT) paid tribute to the late stars of 2016 in a light display inspired by David Bowie, Gene Wilder and Prince.

Anna Fassbinder, 18, from Cologne said it took her breath away. "It was incredible, they did things with fireworks I didn't think were possible," she told dpa.

Around 1.5 million people had been expected to pack the Australian city's harbour area to see 7 million Australian dollars' (5.04 million US dollars') worth of fireworks go up in smoke in a 12-minute extravaganza, with 1 billion more viewers expected via live stream on social media.

Police have assured the public there are no known terrorist threats to the festivities, but for the first time buses will be used to block roads leading to the pedestrian zones to prevent truck attacks such as those in Berlin and Nice.

Parties in cities across Germany are set to take place against a backdrop of heavy police presence and bolstered security measures.

In Cologne, where hundreds of women reported being harassed, assaulted and in some cases raped by groups of men during last year's celebrations, authorities had increased the number of police officers on the beat tenfold to around 1,500 in the city centre alone.

Fireworks, a popular New Year's Eve tradition in Germany, were also banned in front of the city's cathedral, were many of last year's attacks took place.

Celebrations in the western city began with a light installation by artist Philipp Geist. Words suggested by Cologne residents in the run-up to New Year's Eve, such as "decency" and "memory," were projected onto the ground and buildings.

Admission to the party at Berlin's Brandenburg Gate, Germany's biggest New Year's Eve celebration, began 10 hours ahead of midnight, allowing time for thorough checks. The event kicks of at 8:15 pm (1915 GMT), with a host of acts performing in the run-up to midnight. Around 1 million people are expected at the event.

In London, armed police officers were deployed for the first time to underground and overground trains in order to ensure a peaceful turn of the year. Five of the British capital's main bridges were shut off and around 3,000 police officers were deployed to the city centre.

Concrete bollards were installed at the Champs-Elysee in Paris, with hundreds of thousands of people expected to join celebrations there. Throughout France, which has been rocked by a series of deadly terrorist attacks in recent years, over 96,000 security forces were deployed to oversee New Year's Eve events.

In contrast to last year, when the new year was overshadowed by the brutal attack of November 13, 2015, which killed 130 people in a night of coordinated violence, Paris was planning a small fireworks display for 2017 from the top of the Arc de Triomphe.

Italy was also on high alert, after the man suspected of ploughing a lorry into a group of people at a Christmas market in Berlin last week was killed in a shootout in Milan. Rome and other major cities are seeing intensified security measures and media reported that fireworks are banned in Turin, Bologna and Venice.

Terrorist threats impacted party plans outside Europe as well, with warnings issued in India and China.

The New York Police Department expects close to 2 million people to converge on Times Square in central Manhattan on Saturday to witness the traditional ball drop.

As in years past, there will be police helicopters overhead and mandatory bag screenings.

But for the first time revellers also will see 65 strategically positioned garbage trucks loaded with sand. The trucks, whose weight of 16 tons doubles with a full load of sand, are "pretty immovable" according to Vito A Turso, a spokesman for the Sanitation Department quoted in the New York Times.

Police commissioner, James P O'Neill, said however that there are no specific threats related to the event on Times Square.

"We're going to have one of the most well policed, best protected events at one of the safest venues in the entire world, given all the assets that we've employed here," O'Neill said.

In addition to the trucks and other security measures, there will be close to 7,000 police officers assigned to guard against crime and terrorism in the city, including any approaches over water or from the air.

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.