The European Union's executive issued a formal objection Wednesday to controversial judicial reforms in Poland, ratcheting up pressure in an unprecedented inquiry into whether Warsaw is violating the bloc's fundamental values.

The changes to Poland's Constitutional Tribunal - the country's top court - were introduced by the new conservative government that took power in November. Brussels fears that the reforms are in breach of EU-wide standards on the rule of law.

Since January, the European Commission has been in talks with the Polish authorities aimed at resolving the standoff.

"Despite our best efforts, until now we have not been able yet to find solutions to the main issues at stake," commission Vice President Frans Timmermans said.

The decision to issue a formal statement of objections - outlining the commission's concerns and suggesting remedies - takes the inquiry a step further.

As a last resort, it could lead to a suspension of Poland's voting rights within the EU, but Timmermans - who has been leading the talks with Warsaw - said it was too early to discuss what might happen next.

"I don’t want to speculate about future steps," he said. "I still see us in a process of dialogue, of constructive dialogue. We haven't reached the end of that yet."

Polish Prime Minister Beata Szydlo reacted coolly to the move.

"An opinion is an opinion," she said. "That has no influence whatsoever on decisions that are taken in Poland."

Wednesday's announcement marks a U-turn after the commission backed off from escalating its inquiry last week, noting that this was an internal matter to be resolved in Poland.

Polish Justice Minister Zbigniew Ziobro expressed surprise at the decision.

"Mr Timmermans and his closest employees know very well that the government showed great elasticity and the will to find a compromise," he said.

The row between Warsaw and the EU revolves around changes to the 15-judge Constitutional Tribunal including a new two-thirds majority for verdicts to take effect and a rule that requires the court to take cases in the order in which they were filed.

The Polish government and the tribunal have been in a standoff for weeks, after the tribunal's judges ruled in March that the changes to the court are unconstitutional. The government refuses to recognize the ruling.

Critics say the new measures are intended to strengthen the grip of the ruling Law and Justice party on the judicial branch.

Ziobro said the tribunal and the opposition had refused to work towards a solution. "A compromise needs two sides," he said.

Timmermans insisted that the commission "does not wish to involve itself in a political debate in Poland." Its business was preserving the rule of law across the EU, he added.

Many officials in Warsaw have accused the commission of overstepping its mark and meddling in internal Polish affairs. The government has argued that the constitutional reforms were necessary to address a political bias against it.

"You do not question our sovereignty and the right to change," the influential leader of Law and Justice, Jaroslaw Kaczynski, had said in an interview on Monday, raising the prospect of taking the issue to the EU's top court.

The Venice Commission, a body of constitutional law experts that is part of the 47-country Council of Europe, has found that the Polish reforms "undermine democracy, human rights and the rule of law."

Latest news

Syrian opposition rules out future role for President al-Assad

The Syrian opposition said Friday it would not accept any role for President Bashar al-Assad in the future of the war-torn country, reacting to a recent US shift saying that removing al-Assad is no longer a priority for Washington.

Russian Army integrates breakaway forces of Georgian province

Parts of the small fighting forces of the Georgian breakaway province of South Ossetia have been placed under Russian military control, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday.

Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell beer is now Japanese

Japanese brewing company Asahi completed its takeover of the Czech brewery Pilsner Urquell on Friday, Asahi said in a statement.

Judge approves 25-million-dollar settlement of Trump University case

A US district judge on Friday approved a 25-million-dollar settlement of lawsuits and state fraud allegations against Trump University, the US president's now-defunct business venture.

Former Thai premier Thaksin to junta on reconciliation: 'Cut me out'

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Friday announced that he is not interested in the junta-led reconciliation process, three days after the junta handed him a half-a-billion-dollar tax bill for his past business deal.

Dalic: We welcome possible deal between Agrokor and banks

The government welcomes the possibility of an agreement being concluded between the Agrokor food company and creditor banks, and the bill on vitally important companies is not a fallback plan but the result of the government's care for the overall economic and financial stability of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy Martina Dalic told a press conference in Zagreb on Friday.

Croatia, China sign action plan for cooperation in agriculture

The Croatian and Chinese ministries of agriculture on Friday signed an action plan for cooperation in the field of agriculture for the period 2017-2018, the Croatian ministry said in a statement.

ZSE indices up, Agrokor shares in focus of investor interest

The Zagreb Stock Exchange (ZSE) indices on Friday rose by more than 1.8%, with stocks of the Agrokor food and retail concern being in the focus of investor interest again.

Berlin police defend handling of Berlin market attacker

Berlin police defended themselves on Friday against accusations that they stopped surveillance on Berlin Christmas market attacker despite knowing in June 2016 he was dangerous.

Croatia, creditors tailor emergency measures to save tottering giant

Croatia's tottering retail and food giant Agrokor reached an agreement with its creditors, putting its debts standby and allowing it to continue working during emergency restructuring, the Croatian branch of Austria's Erste Bank said Friday.

Agrokor's creditors say standstill agreement to go into force today

A standstill agreement regarding the Agrokor concern's existing financial obligations to banks will take effect on Friday, additional capital will be injected into the concern in the coming days and the concern will be actively restructured, which includes a change of its management, it was said on Friday after a meeting between Agrokor's suppliers and creditor banks.

Palestinians, UN slam Israel's new settlement plan

Palestinians, Israeli activists and the UN lambasted the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday, a day after it gave the go-ahead for the first new West Bank settlement in a quarter of a century.

South Sudan rebels release three abducted foreign oil workers

South Sudanese rebels have released three foreign engineers they abducted in early March in the oil-rich Upper Nile region, Foreign Affairs Ministry official Mawein Makol Arik said on Friday.

Turkish opposition: Imprisoned party chief has gone on hunger strike

The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party has launched a hunger strike from prison.

European leagues threaten Champions League schedule clashes

The European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) on Friday threatened schedule clashes on Champions League matchdays in an ongoing dispute with the governing body UEFA.

Danish court revokes citizenship of IS volunteer

A Danish appellate court on Friday stripped a man of his Danish citizenship for volunteering to fight for the extremist Islamic State in Syria.

Banks and Agrokor agree on key elements of standstill agreement

Member banks of the coordinating committee of financial creditors and representatives of the Agrokor food company have in principle agreed on key elements of a standstill agreement, which is expected to be signed later today, announcing changes in the company's management team, Erste Bank said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

Syrian man on trial in Sweden; mosque attack labelled terrorism

A Syrian man went on trial Friday in the southern Swedish city of Malmo, charged with terrorism and arson after an attack last year on a building used as an assembly hall by Shiite Muslims.